Forum rules - please read before posting.

Pause actionlist?

Hi there,

I have a scenario in my game where I have a cutscene running in the background, allowing the player to move around the scene and interact with things. When he interacts there is some additional dialogue which plays alongside the cutscene which is running in the background. Occasionally the dialogue conflicts and ideally I'd like to pause the cutscene running in the background whilst the interaction plays out, and then resume the background cutscene when it finishes.

Is there any way to do this? I've played around with various settings and actions but I can't find any way of doing so...

Best,

DB

Comments

• You can't pause a Cutscene - but you can create an indefinite loop when you need to.  Create a Global boolean variable in the Variables Manager (called e.g. "Pause cutscene") and then set it to True whenever you need a pause (using the "Variable: Set" Action).

You can then insert the following nodes into your Cutscene to pause it for the duration:

• Hi Chris,

Thanks for this, am I correct in thinking that I'd need to insert the variable check after each step in the main cutscene?

The player could interact with something and hence trigger one of the smaller cutscenes at any point throughout its duration... The main cutscene is actually broken into three separate cutscenes but there are approximately 150 actions in total across them so that would be a lot of variable checks to insert! Is there an easier way of doing this?

Is it possible to request a "Pause actionlist" action as a feature?

Cheers!

DB
  • Yes, I believe that's at least worth investigating - I see your point about the large number of Actions.  However, as AC v1.49 is planned to release today please don't expect anything too soon - it's not something that could be rushed, as there's a risk of it breaking AC's core system.
  • Thanks Chris! This mechanic is something my colleagues and I are really interested in for our project, allowing the player to mess around with things whilst a larger cutscene is going on (which we might not want them to miss out on), can we consider this feature requested then?

I know it's something you'd need to look into and it's not urgent for us at this point, as there is a lot of other things to be getting on with, but I suppose being able to pause and resume actionlists at any point could have quite a broad uses! Let me know what you think,

Cheers!

DB
  • Like I said, I'll be looking into it.  I've already got it down as a feature-request.
  • Seconding the need for  a "Pause actionlist" it would help a lot for all NPC and sidekick types running in the background.

Some really nice polished options to go with it would be "wait X seconds after resume is called" and "replay previous action before pause" if possible.

For the time being I'll just put stuff down to using the loop system instead, but not fill any of that in till the end of the project though, because it's way too messy to read through anything like that.