Forum rules - please read before posting.

Having trouble with game builds.

edited January 2016 in Technical Q&A
Hey everyone, me again.

So I've been running into quite a few problems every time I build the demo:
- The first few builds, the main character disappears few seconds after the player stops clicking around.

- The newest build, for some reason after the Unity logo shows up before the game begins, just immediately closes out without being able to play the game.

How should I go and fix this? (Builds are available in this RAR file: *REDACTED*)

Comments

• I have removed your link.  Adventure Creator is a COMMERCIAL PRODUCT.

Never, EVER, post links to it's source code publicly.
  • Oops! Very sorry about that. (Wonder why my email didn't warn me of your message...)

Okay, so here's my problem:

- For some reason, the newest GAME build won't allow me (or anyone) to play the game AFTER the Unity Logo is done playing.

-
    Even stranger, during the time before this latest build, the main
    character will disappear after the player will stop clicking around.

They all run fine in the game editor, but actually doing the builds, and they just malfunction!

Where would I look under to fix these problems?
  • You can try the log files to see if they've reported anything.

It may well be Unity that's the problem, here.  If you're using 5.3x, try downgrading to 5.2.
  • (Back again, sorry!)

Okay, so I tried looking in Editor.log. Unfortunately, nothing stuck out except maybe: "Native extension for WindowsStandalone target not found" along with Native extensions for other platforms not being found. Other than that, I can't find any problems in the log.

Funny enough, I'm actually running in Unity 5.1.2, and I'm having the problems. I can't tell if I did something wrong in the game's assets or not.

I think a video might showcase the problem a bit better, but otherwise, what would you suggest?
  • A video would definitely help.
  • Alright, here's the video for the game playing in the editor test area, and then me trying to open the game build:

I'm still looking through the log, but I can't find anything that really sticks out like a sore thumb. Where in the log would be the best bet to look under?
  • As it was previously running, there must have been some change you made to the project that caused it to no longer run.  Try building either of the demo games instead (with your own game's scenes removed from the Build settings).  If they run, then the problem's source can be narrowed down somewhat.
  • Alright, went ahead and changed the scenes and kept the project open, but changing the scene to the 2D demo. Trying to build the 2D demo scene caused the game to black out rather than play.

Looks like something happened in the project file itself rather than the scene file. That both relieves me and irritates me, as I can easily go ahead and build the project file elsewhere, though I kinda wished the whole issue didn't happen to begin with.

Either way, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
  • The important thing is to determine whether this is an AC issue or not.  As I haven't heard of the 2D demo blacking out for anyone else, I have to assume it's something unique to your project.  Perhaps starting a new project is the right direction - you could export your existing work as a .unitypackage file and re-import it into the new after a fresh install of AC.
  • you can turn off the unity start logo under build -> player spalsh, there is a check box.

while there, check that the right level is in the build list

else failing that:

i would have an action on start that just outputs player text, and do this at stages to see where the game is falling over too. (i.e. use player dialogue like a debug.log output)

• edited January 2016
    I believe I am having the problem that Jon's first build had, where the player disappears after a few seconds. This only happens when I try to build the level, but works perfectly fine when testing the game in the unity editor. I am attempting to build out into windows exe.

Did you ever figure out why this happens? I'm not sure how to check the log
  • edited January 2016
    @jesska47: Try raising your character's acceleartion and deceleration values to a high number like 20 - I was advised that was a possible solution to a similar-sounding issue.  Also please let me know:
    • Your Unity version number
    • Your movement settings in your Settings Manager
    • Your character's animation engine.
  • edited January 2016
    No luck raising the acceleration. My unity version is 5.1.1 and there is no animation on my character as of this build. My movement settings are here:

I also took a video of what happens when I try to play the build if that might help.

• You switching camera ?

could be something about that if so, delete and do again ?

could be sorting map issue? 

• Check your Console window when running the game in the Editor.  While the character won't disappear, it should throw a red error message at the same point instead.  If it does, post the full message here - and also a screenshot of your full Player Inspector.  Thanks.
  • I get no errors in the console window when I run the game in the editor.
    For the camera, my default cam is set to the same one the scene starts with.

My Player Inspector:
  • Would you be able to zip up your project and PM it to me privately?  You can leave out any other scenes and unnecessary graphics.
  • Did you find a solution yet? I have the same problem my character disappears after 2-3 sec after moving. If i stand still after I have started the game the Player don't disappear.

I also don't get an error in the console at any point and in the editor it works fine. I tried to remove the sorting map but no effect.

Unity: 5.3.1f1
    AC: 1.50a

• Update to AC 1.50g did not solve the problem
  • @Valdur: I am working on a solution right now, and will release a bugfix update once it is solved.