Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best Screen Resolution for 2d background art and scaling

Hi,

I am new to creating digital art and still very much learning. I have seen articles online about different screen resolutions and aspect ratios and scaling problems to higher resolution devices.

I was wondering what the general screen resolution recommendation is to be able to scale to most devices without issue. I would like to be able to support ios, android, web and desktop with the same graphics.

Is there a good resolution for art work that is standard and scales well?

I am an individual looking to make classic 2d adventures probably late 80s to early 90s quality graphics as I am a newbie my skills are limited. My understanding is that larger resolutions like 720p would be too high as the larger resolutions need more work to draw but at the same time 320x200 is too small.

Anyway any tips on what resolution to use for background art would be appreciated. Also if you know of any good background art tutorials that would be appreciated also.

Thanks,

Anthony

Comments

• This isn't so much related to using AC, and you might have better luck getting responses on the official Unity forums instead.  640x480 was the HD of my day, but @humaldo has produced some great "classic" look games, for example.
  • Thanks for the reply, the games by @humaldo looks like the kinda games I want to build and nice to see adventure creator working with them.

Here is some of my plans so far for other newbies that maybe researching what game size to use also.

I have been looking around and decided to design art that works well with modern aspect ratio of 16:9 which works with most modern computers.

I used 400x225 for the background art as it scales up to 720p and 1080p etc and can also do 800x450 for web player which seems like a good size to put within a website.

I did notice for some reason the macbook pro laptop only comes up with 16:10 aspect ratios on the unity game options distorting my graphics on my laptop but I found the following solution in code to change the resolution to a 16:9 aspect ratio despite the computer not showing it in the options.

if (Application.platform == RuntimePlatform.OSXPlayer) {

Screen.SetResolution (1280, 720, 
    Screen.fullScreen;);

}

Not sure if this is the best method but it is working for me so far in testing.

Anyway hope this helps others as finding the right resolution for the game and scaling it to work on newer computers is something I wanted to make sure worked right.

Regards,
    Anthony 

• Hey Anthony,

You can limit the aspect ratios the player can choose by deselecting them under Edit > Project Settings > Player Settings > Resolution. It's generally better to make your UI responsive so it scales correctly in any ratio/resolution, but if you want to limit it to a specific size to emulate the old adventure games, you could do it that way. Or, if you set the aspect ratio in AC's Settings Manager, it will keep the game looking correctly no matter what the resolution or ratio.

I've always been an HD person, so I make my art at least two or three times bigger than the resolution of the game. This keeps it looking sharp no matter what screen it's displayed at. It's not really true that bigger resolutions make for more work, that depends more on the style you choose. For pixel art, yeah, but if you're doing painted artwork you might as well draw it big :)
  • thanks for the tips