Forum rules - please read before posting.

Talking animation restarts when using CR to separate speech lines

edited January 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hi there,

I'm using a fairly basic setup for my character: Sprites Unity animation engine, Standard talk animation style. The "Treat carriage returns as separate speech lines" option is enabled and works as expected.

So far, so good. The trouble is that the character's talking animation restarts after each carriage return. This looks rather jarring as he'll often be in the middle of his animation when the next line starts. I'd prefer him to just keep animating in a loop while the speech runs.

Any way I could set that up?

Thanks!

Comments

• By its nature, separating your speech lines with CRs will cause each line to be treated independently - so that behaviour is to be expected.

However, there are a couple of things you could try:

1) Use the Character: Animate Action beforehand to force the character into a looping talk animation that overrides the internal talk animation playback.
    2) Switch to the Sprites Unity Complex animation engine so that you can control the transition speed from your talk -> idle animations.  If the new line begins while mid-transition, the effect may be less jarring.
    3) Increase the Split line delay (s) so that the first talking animation more clearly ends before the new begins.
  • Thanks, I'll give your suggestions a try. Might be a good opportunity to dive into the complex animations option, as I've been meaning to do that anyway.