Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to get a player to 'fight' with enemies...

I have been using AC for a few weeks now and I am making forward progress using it.
I have a goal of creating a player that can equip an item(gun, sword, etc) and attack an enemy NPC.
I do not have a coding background to speak of but I have purchased and participated in many online coding courses.
Is it possible to use AC out of the box to accomplish this?
Thank you.

Comments

• AC has no combat in itself, as it's designed for traditional adventure games ( from 2d to modern 3d - like telltale games , those you can create with basically no additional coding. )

You can add costum motion controller - there is tutorial in tutorial section, but it requires some coding.

There is also plenty of assets with AC integration already prepared - like Ultimate FPS.

It also depends on you combat design - you can create movie like QTE where character will grab a gun and shoot someone just with AC and timeline.

I guess Chris will give more detailed answer.

Cheers

• edited April 2020

Yeah, as @fildagame mentioned, and as I'm sure Chris will reiterate, AC is designed for traditional adventure games rather than action/combat games

However, AC's architecture is flexible enough to accommodate various different styles of gameplay, and it's certainly possible to accomplish in-game combat with a little bit of effort (I know because I've done it myself) (and I am by no means the world's greatest coder)

I suspect it would be quite hard to manage without at least SOME coding however, so in answer to your question I'd say it probably isn't possible, or at least isn't easy to achieve using vanilla AC out of the box

Having said that, the great thing about AC, compared to lots of other "build your own" products, is that, if you make the effort, and ask the right questions, and give all the necessary information, then Chris always gives considered, helpful, answers that help you towards your goals

• Welcome to the community, @eyetengu.

As others have said, AC is not intended for combat games - but traditional adventures that emphasise story and puzzles, as shown in the demo games and tutorial videos.

On a very basic level, a "fighting system" is essentially a case of waiting for player input, playing an animation, and reducing an enemy's health. On a "bare bones" level, it's possible to have this occur upon clicking an enemy by attaching a Hotspot to that NPC and running Actions.

In the case of their health, you can attach a Variables component to the enemy and define a "health" integer variable. That way, your Interaction can include a Variable: Set Action that reduces this value by some amount - and then uses a Variable: Check Action to determine if it's reached zero, to work out if it should play e.g. a "death" animation and disable the Hotspot.

QTEs are another option, but again - if you're using AC alone for this, and no coding, then you're typically limited to tightly-controlled encounters like this where you choose exactly when/where such combat occurs.

What kind of combat / level of complexity are you looking to achieve, exactly? You may be able to integrate with another asset or system that provides what you're looking for - but again, AC itself is not aimed at combat gameplay. If you're developing a proper action game, it may be best to rely on a separate asset.