Forum rules - please read before posting.

Drag-and-drop Inventory into empty slot not always working?

A few of my beta testers are reporting they can't see empty slots when trying to re-arrange inventory items so they can combine them. For example, trying to combine a battery with an empty flashlight that are 10 slots apart. After some testing on my end, I believe that the empty slots are only visible when their inventory actively contains items that can be combined (battery, empty flashlight). Is that right?

My settings are:

Game is for iOS. AC version 1.71.8; Unity: 2019.4.8f1

Input method: Touch Screen
Drag and drop inventory interface: YES
Can drop an item onto itself to Examine it: YES

I have 5 inventory slots in an AC menu with standard Shift Left and Shift Right buttons.
Only show when effective: YES
Max number of slots: 5
When slot is empty: clear content

Comments

• edited August 2021

So that I'm clear of the context: this is because there's a larger gap between the two items than there are slots, meaning you have to place items closer together and then shift left/right?

It should be possible to drag/drop into empty slots, so long as Items can be re-ordered in Menus? is checked in the Settings Manager's "Inventory settings" panel. If your InventoryBox element has a "Highlight texture" assigned, then that texture should be assigned when hovering over an empty slot.

As there are many inventory related settings/properties, please share screens of your Settings Manager and InventoryBox element properties - there's more to it than the fields above.

A bug related to drag-and-drop inventory was fixed in v1.73.0, but that was only for Unity UI menus. Still, I'd recommend trialling the latest release in a backup project, if only to tell if this is an issue with your older AC version - I can't seem to recreate this issue on my end.

When testing yourself, are you encountering this problem in builds only, or in the Editor as well?

• Hi Chris,
    One tester has 10 items in his inventory but since my Inventory menu has only 5 visible slots on the screen he can't combine item 1 with item 10. For some reason the shift-next arrow isn't visible and there're no empty slots. In my builds, there's always the shift-next arrow when there are more than 5 inventory items and blank slots appear so I can re-order them.

I haven't been able to recreate this issue (in the Editor or builds) either so I think my quick fix will be redesigning my inventory menu to have a grid of 15 slots.

If I come up with any more insight I'll post it here.

• There have been reports recently of an issue in which "shift" buttons are not showing correctly after loading a save-game - though I'm not sure if it's present in v1.71.8.

I am fixing this issue as part of the upcoming v1.74.0 update. Again, it may also be worth testing the latest release for the original issue. PM me if you'd like to be involved in testing a WIP package.