Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Solved] No speech audio when talking

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi all,
I tryed to create a voice for the main char, but when I rename the file for the format of AC, the voice isn't audible.

In detail: 
In the Speech Manager I make the Gather lines and Create script sheet without any problem. 
I check the script for the first 2 lines of text my char say, called Player201 and Player202. 
Renamed my mp3 files to that name in the Resources\Speech. 
But... when I hit play, there's no audio voice, only text. 

I already tryed to look at the volume and other options but they're all ok...
I also tryed to use my recoded clip with the demo and it works!

Tx for any suggestion!
Bye

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Hey,

I ran into the same issue. It seems like the audio is played (and it doesn't let subtitles disappear or talking animation stop until the audio finishes), but it is not audible. I initially thought it was a problem with wav files, but the same happens for mp3s. Neither is it a listener problem, since playing sounds in a standard Unity way works just fine. However, Engine: Play sound also does not seem to work properly at this time.

Thanks for your help!
  • Both serious problems, I wonder if they are related.

@2finger:
    Does other audio play properly?  Is the line number of your player's first line really 201?  If you've checked the Options data, I'm not sure what else I can suggest from what you've written.  How did you get it working with the demo game - do you mean you renamed the file?

@domx:
    Speech lines with audio attached will indeed last as long as the audio, but are you sure it's playing "silently" based on the display time?  Without changing the audio file / line number, try increasing the line text to something absurdly long, so that we know for sure the audio is playing silently (if it is, the display time won't change, despite the longer text).

1) Is your Engine: Play Sound Action scene- or asset-based?
    2) Have you checked your Options data?
    3) Are your Sound objects assigned to the correct type (eg SFX/Music)?
  • edited April 2014
    Other audio play fine. 
    The test I made with the demo was just rename my audio clip in BrainXX to see if were played and it worked. Brain speaked with my voice! ^_^

The first text line in the game is the narrator voice, in the text script isn't in the beginning but in the game is the first cutscene that run after the intro and he give me "Narrator201".

[Character: Narrator voiceFilename: Narrator voice201"Blablabla..."]

So I put the Narrator voice201.mp3 in the Resources\Speech folder, checked Options data and put Speech at 10 and other Sfx and Music at 1... Sfx and Music is lower but Speech... none!

The folder is correct, because if I rename the file it says "Cannot find audio file ...".

It's like when you insert a sound and you forget to move it near the main camera. It plays but can't be heard... 

If I find the solution I'll post here...
    Tx and bye

Edit: I also tryed to Reset lines and recreate from scratch, it change the ID number but same result.
    Edit2: started a new project, put only a player and a line of text, assigned Player0 from AC, renamed mp3 to Player0.mp3 and it worked... why in my main project it doesn't work??? Grrrrrr....... 
  • edited April 2014
    @ChrisIceBox

Thanks for answering, Chris.

Tried changing the line length - the display time does not change.

1) Could you elaborate? What do you mean by scene or asset based? In case of the latter, is it an action recorded in a prefab? No, it's uniquely on scene, actually a part of a cutscene.
    2) Yes, everything seems fine.
    3) That was the issue with the Engine: Play sound. I didn't have a SFX object. So the only remaining problem is the dialogue speech part. 

edit: I ran into another bug in the course of testing - after then Engine: Play action started working and I removed it, it still plays the sound, despite a) removing the action b) removing the entire cutscene c) replacing the cutscene. It only stopped, after the audio file was deleted from the Resource folder. 
  • Perhaps both of these issues are indeed related. @2finger, anything different about your folder structure or settings between your two projects that can give us more to go on?  Which player character are you using?  Does your player have an AudioSource component?  (Sorry if that's too obvious, but I don't have much to go on..)

@domx: Actions can be placed in InvActionList and MenuActionList asset files, which are like Cutscenes but like in your project folder.  With regards to your latest problem, are you saying that - after stopping the game and removing the cutscene - the cutscene played as normal upon restarting?  Really not sure how that could be happening.
  • Other test I made, was to put a short mp3 (2 sec.) on a long line of text. The text stop scrolling after 2 sec. and then begin the next line of text. So the mp3 is played... but is not possible to hear it.
    I also tryed to use base managers, the ones used in the demo. Nothing change, no speech audio.
    The char I used was 2 different. One is the Narrator Voice, an empty gameobject with npc script on it. It's attached to the main camera, so the text are always in the center. The other is a normal 3d model mecanim compatible. The only AudioSource it have is for the walk and run footsteps...
  • edited April 2014
    I am having the same problem.
    Again there is not extensive coverage of these things in the manual.

• edited April 2014
    I tried to make a build and play it with the audio speech but no voice came out.
    I follow the manual to create the speech voices and it doesn't work only on my main project, if I create from scratch and follow the manual instructions it works...
    Btw, if you are having the same issue, you are the 3rd person with this problem, so I think maybe Chris should take a look if there may be compatibility problems or something else, I don't know.
  • edited April 2014
    I got it working eventually

www.soundific.com/Level7/Level7web.html
  • Your link give me an error. Have you make the speech working? How?
    I've received 2 notification when you asked for the manual instructions. The manual is in the main folder of Adventure Creator and it's called "Manual.pdf". The instructions about speech audio are on page 60, cap. 9.0 - Speech management.
    Let me know.
  • edited April 2014
    The error was probably cause i put on the link while still uploading it. its 34mb. Suddenly i had some problems with menus cause i was using the demos menu manager. Now I changed that and at this point eventhough i hear the sound playing the text does not appear! I will re upload and check it in 5 minutes.

One other strange thing is that the female character in the scene when i click on her to look at you can hear the AC demo robot's voice playing !?!
  • edited April 2014
    Ok, just recreated the chars prefab from scratch and they begin to talk! ^_^
    Tx all!