Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can I use Oculus DK2 + Leap motion with AC?

Hi everyone,

I plan to make a project (project proposal) for an impressive experience using Adventure Creator with Oculus DK2 and Leap motion integrated into the DK2.
I want to create a training scenario where the users will be wearing the dk2 and push buttons, rotate valves, pull handles .. pretty much interact with their hands in 3D environment.
I plan to use AC to create triggers, events to happen, physics interaction, and AI to asset the player.

Can this done be done with Adventure Creator right now or should I look for other things to complete my project? (I own Ultimate FPS asset but I did not use it yet)
I looked for Leap motion with DK2 in the forums but nothings showed up... so I hope someone can help me.

thanks!

Comments

• Not having either myself, I can't help I'm afraid - anyone else have luck with these?
  • that's what I was afraid of...

What worries me the most is integrating Leap Motion into AC to interact with Physics. I bought leap motion and have not started using it yet! (extremely busy with the project)

I am still optimizing my scene (pretty huge scene with dozen of machines on site, pipe lines, buttons, etc..) for the last 2 ~ 3 weeks  :(

I will be done in the next few days to start experimenting..

The deadline for my proposal is getting close so I might spend the next few days working overtime to complete this proposal.

If someone can help it would be a great help not just for me but for anyone who owns Oculus DK1 or DK2 and the Leap Motion

Thanks in advance.

• I cant speak for the Oculus, but I have used the Leap Motion in an experiment inside unity.  Getting Unity and Leap set up for a simple "toss the boxes around" scene took about 4-5 hrs.  This was a couple months ago so I cant say if the process is easier but getting the dll's all working right to start with took a bit.  May want to devote at least half a day before you go trying and making all 3 programs work together.  I just tried to run that project again to help you out, but it thew an error off the bat because something isn't updated.  No time.  Sorry.

All I can hint you with is to look for...

LeapMotionSkeletalAssets_free
    LeapDeveloperKit

By all means though, if you get it to work let me know.  I was planning on using it for some special education classes in the future.
  • edited January 2015
    no problem.
    The Oculus is working great. I had the dk2 3 months ago, I ran through all kinds of the troubleshooting and i managed to make it work.

The leap motion v2 for Oculus dk2 is still in the box
    the entire scene is huge (in 3d max) , I am trying to optimize it further today before I apply (UV coordinates, textures, normal maps) detach the models (chop it into small pieces to be efficient when getting baked and test it with InstantOC script)

using meshbaker (to create Atlas texture). baking the entire scene at once is not great because Meshbaker doesn't bake seperated areas of an entire scene, it will pick random objects from the entire scene to be grouped (measuring 64k vertex) and bake it as 1 model which screws up the purpose of Occlusion Culling - I saw pieces of my scene show up infront of my camrea and from the back of my camera at the same time because they represent 1 baked model. so baking blocks of areas fixed that.

oh my... this is pretty huge work on my shoulders :(

finally, testing Leap motion

(Oculus works great but demands low polygon count/drawcalls in order to be smooth when rotating your head, I fixed that)

cya guys until I reach a conclusion with the Leap motion. I never test it yet.
  • I cant tell from your writing if you've ever set up your Leap before in unity, or ever used it.  Don't take me wrong...

You may want to get a handle on how accurate the bone structure is using the Leap in Unity before you go overboard with to many physic set pieces.  Even under the best of conditions (not having a beer can sitting next to the Leap) the perfect setup can take a good bit of time.

You may run into serious scaling issues with how big your hand is on screen compared to any "pinch/grab/move/rotate" moves you have to make with your fingers.

Regardless the conversation is interesting.  Let me know how it works out.
  • edited February 2015
    Hi everyone,

I have been extremely busy optimizing an entire scene (around 6+ million Tris! I and 3+ million vertex)
    Its a huge construction scene and I might have 1 to 2 months left for the deadline or this proposal will be gone. I spent over  4+ months working on it :(

The great news is that, it runs smooth under my Oculus DK2 after dozen of trails & errors using many techniques. the best I have seen is using InstantOC script, much better results than Occlusion culling that comes with Unity Pro, along with other tweaks I did. All of this in Unity 4.6.1 !! (32-bit) isn't that great!
    I love Unity 5 64-bit for the memory storage and crash-free feature !! but its not stable yet, until it does I will use it in the future,some of my Asset store scripts won't work, the authors won't do an update until some of the bugs gets fixed :(

anyway, here are my updates.

I am shocked to find out that Leap Motion for Oculus DK2 is little buggy sometimes, it was great for the first half an hour but the fun factor died afterwards because I can't guarantee a positive impression when I do this proposal  :(

I was planning to use as part of my project but that won't happen I guess. If I am presenting this, I don't want to jump into the scene every few seconds to calibrate it or fix it! it will screw up my entire proposal X(  !!

I guess it will sit idle in my desk until a better technology comes out (I am waiting for the "Control VR") at least that one can be more stabilized and accurate in 3D space.

As for Adventure Creator, I download it, I pulled my hair dozen of times to get it to work! and finally IT DID !! I can run it fine in Unity Editor  (under 60+ fps!) but here is the bad news....

It runs 3 FPS after I built it into an EXE file !!  ~X(

I thought it might be something with "Execution Order" but there is 1 line for Oculus Manager script siting there (I guess its been there since I installed it in Unity) so nothing to change here I guess?

I didn't find enough info. in the forums otherwise I would have tried something on my own.

What I did is.. I created a new project, I used "Tin pot" and renamed him "Tin Pot2" and then placed a copy of him into my project (where I continued to apply the changes happening in the editor), I followed the tutorials, I created a Navmesh from the Navmesh segments (just few blocks in the surface of a huge terrian and baked it, it came out fresh from the oven!

I turned most of the 3D Models in the scene off so I can test it quickly and I left them off.
    I have been trying to get the Oculus camera to work along with InstantOC Component and I did ! ... its just the build time that doesn't want to change the 3 frames per second that kills my eyes while wearing the Oculus ! ahhh..
    so I gave up and came here asking. Please help ! I am taking a break while writing this.

thanks in advance.
    Please tell  me what you need to know and I will let you know.
    thanks.
  • It's really not clear whether this is down to AC or the other plugins / scripts you have running.  I also have no experience with OR personally - anyone else have more useful insight?
  • You might be right, the script reports an error, then I found out its a bug and it has been identified and reported (the "InstantOC"- the occlusion culling script)
    the author is working on a fix but I might lower the scene a bit and test everything without the script running to confirm.

• unfortunately something wrong in the setup. I removed the occlusion culling script, left few models showing on scene (very light scene) and still its showing 3 fps on the oculus Rift :(

In the editor everything is fine except when I build the project.

I keep having this error in the editor when I run the project, it continues piling up the numbers so I wonder if it has to do with anything? ...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Could not find first person camera
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    AC.PlayerMovement:FirstPersonControlPlayer() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMovement.cs:689)
    AC.PlayerMovement:UpdatePlayerMovement() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMovement.cs:123)
    AC.StateHandler:Update() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:174)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will resume testing more and maybe I will give it a shot in Unity 5 as well. Meanwhile, I will keep my eyes open in this thread for any replies.

thanks.
  • one last comment,

I exported the project without the Oculus Rift cameras and it worked fine! smooth with no problems under the first person setup, when I added the OR cameras it worked fine as well in the editor but not in the Build :(
    so there is a nasty little bug somewhere causing this delay or we are missing something somewhere...(I don't think its related to the Occlusion Culling script even though now there is a bug in it, I tested a simple scene which should work in a low-end system)

my system is:

(overclocked i7 6-core(12 threads) -> 4.5Ghz , liquid cooling, 32GB fast memory, SSD intel 730 480GB) windows 7 64-bit, turned off everything in windows for maximum performance! and Geforce GTX TITAN Superclocked video card 6GB
    I kept my system clean all the time, installing only whats needed to handle my gigantic projects.

so there is no freaking way the entire system can't be rendered under my system. a low-end system can run it!

there is something and I wish you had the OR to find it, Adventure Creator is the complete package for my project otherwise I will have to spend countless hours working in Playmaker or any other solution to setup my simulation :( which I hate doing right now..

If there is anyone who can help please do! you will help the human race go further in life :D
  • I tried everything... I set the quality from (Max to the worst! the Fastest in Render Quality ) all what I got was (from 3 fps to 30fps) which is still bad for the Oculus Rift camera. anything below 60fps and its jitter and ghosting effect.

I managed to get my crazy scene working with the Oculus script, along with ocean, animals, and animated sky just fine (around 60fps!!).. just imagine all of this + over 7 million polygon on scene and when I used the AC script, I unticked the visibility of all my models leaving the terrain (I even sliced the terrain for the sake of testings! lol..) this whole scene runs extremely low even under the lowest quality settings.

There is something going on and I don't know what..
    I guess for now I will abandoned AC until this gets fixed :(

Sorry ChrisIceBox, I wish I can integrate AC into my pipeline but nothing got it fixed, neither the Unity 32-bit or the 64-bit version made a difference. I feel really sad about this, after I learned so much about AC and now this... :(

I will check the forums from time to time if someone got it fixed or had any suggestions,
    until then.. cya guys..(now I am forced to look for an alternative Asset ASAP!  :( )