Forum rules - please read before posting.

Accessing internal AC Settings in the options menu

Hello Chris,
Hope you are well.

Chris, we've been thinking about old Adventure games and my friend found some old Sierra games had the possibility to modify the velocity of the main character's "walk"/"run". He thought it could be great to add that option to our "options" menu.
Is it possible to modify those values? We currently have two main character, so it's two settings.

Based on the same note above, how about accessing the "scroll speech text" on and off and the value for the on.

Maybe we are going above and beyond but there's a simple way to add those to a certain menu.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• For any setting you can see in AC, you can right-click it and find the script reference. Using that, you can change any parameter of AC via script.

• Thanks @Temmy's - yes, any Manager field can be modified in this way.

It's important to note that Managers are asset files, and as such changes made to them will survive exiting Play Mode. As such, it's necessary to initialise the values of any field you're looking to make "dynamic" by setting it's intended value when your game begins.

To have this be stored as Options data, you can create a Global Float variable, set its Link to to Options Data. You then just need a script to sync this variable value with the scrollSubtitles property.

A tutorial on creating custom Option fields can be found here.

For a character's walk/run speed, you can similarly sync these to Float variables. The active Player's speed values can be access with:

AC.KickStarter.player.walkSpeed
    AC.KickStarter.player.runSpeed

I'd suggest incorporating all of the above into a custom Action (as with the above tutorial), and run it whenever you switch Player.

• Thanks a lot!! I following this advice and the one in this thread and made it work like a charm :)
    https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/10424/enable-disable-scrolling-text