Forum rules - please read before posting.

Subtitles above speaking character has text going off the screen

I have taken the unity ui SubtitlesUI prefab provided by adventure creator and deleted the background image and the speaker label to get a lucas arts style speech.

I have changed the text to display above the speaking character in the menu manager and it works well except if the player is near the end of the screen which causes the text to go off the screen and be unreadable.

I have the default settings from the adventure creator which has the "always fit within screen" checkbox ticked in the menu manager.

The only other change I made was to add an outline component to the txtSubtitles label in the SubtitlesUI prefab to put an outline around the text.

I have searched the forums on this but was not able to find the correct way to make this work without text going off the screen.

Comments

• edited February 2022

Are you enforcing an aspect ratio that doesn't match the Game window, or does the screen's boundary match that of the playable area?

When Always fit within screen? is checked for a Unity UI-based Menu, AC relies on the supplied RectTransform boundary field to determine if a Menu is off-screen. You'll need to make sure that the supplied RectTransform here is one that accurately spans the UI's visible area, i.e. surrounds the subtitle text.

The default SubtitlesUI also has an Auto Correct UI Dimensions component, which is configured for bottom-edge display. You'll need to remove this if you want it to be dynamic. See the Manual chapter of the same name for details on how this component works.

• Thanks for the reply your product is quite impressive, I have been reviewing AGS and Visionaire along with your product.

Unity makes some things more involved like the dialogue text that just works out of the box in the other two systems.

Anyway, I ended up switching to the adventure creator menu system as I was able to get that to work.

I think I would have to go learn unity UI to understand what I am doing with it and that's not worth it just for making an adventure game on the side.

• As a toolkit atop Unity, AC does differ from other engines in that it still has to work with the framework of another system. This does bring the added benefit of being able to work with other such toolkits and assets, giving more flexibility - though indeed it does make things more complex.

AC's built-in menu system is certainly robust enough to work with - though Unity UI does offer more in the way of styling options and polish. It's also possible to work with AC during the bulk of development, and switch to UUI towards as your game comes together.

If you'd like to revisit this thread in the future, just share some screens showing your progress and I can give more specific advice.