Forum rules - please read before posting.

Camera: Fade not working in all scenes?

edited March 2022 in Technical Q&A

[Unity 2019.4.37f1 - AC 1.75.1]

Hi!

I currently have (that I know of, so far) one scene in which the Camera: Fade Actions don't really play as intended: neither Fade In nor Fade Out produce any results on screen.

This is the ActionList I use in all scenes that have a Fade Out cutscene (just swap Fade Out with Fade In, the rest is the same):

To test whether something was actually happening I placed a Stopwatch, and two Debug.Log lines one at the start of the FadeOut function in the MainCamera.cs script:

Debug.Log($"Fade out [START] - alpha {alpha} - fadeTimer {fadeTimer} - fadeDuration {fadeDuration}");

and one at the end of it:

Debug.Log($"Fade out [END] - alpha {alpha} - fadeTimer {fadeTimer} - fadeDuration {fadeDuration} --- Stopwatch: {stopWatch.Elapsed}");

and yes, it seems to be working, considering it produces the same results in the scenes where it is working:

Fade out [START] - alpha 0 - fadeTimer 0 - fadeDuration 0
Fade out [END] - alpha 0.01 - fadeTimer 0.5 - fadeDuration 0.5 --- Stopwatch: 00:00:00.0004510

But the camera doesn't seem to be doing anything.

To no avail, I tried:

• Creating\assigning a new camera
  • Using a custom fade texture set to the same black.png texture that the Camera refers to by default
  • Removing all Actions except for the Camera: Fade one in the above-referred ActionList
  • Running the ActionList just using the "Run now" button in the Inspector
  • Running the ActionList within a conversation (I am using PixelCrushers' Dialogue System to handle conversations)

I'm sorry I can't provide better context, but I can't figure out what could it be that is causing the issue. Of course if there are specific questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them.

Thanks in advance, as always!

Comments

• edited March 2022

Does your scene camera have this set up?:

• Does this occur in a new scene?

Using a custom fade texture set to the same black.png texture that the Camera refers to by default

If you're referring to assigning a texture within the Action, have you tried assigning a custom texture within the MainCamera Inspector itself? Check that "Draw fade?" is also checked there.

To test whether something was actually happening I placed a Stopwatch, and two Debug.Log lines one at the start of the FadeOut function in the MainCamera.cs script

The actual rendering of the texture occurs in that script's DrawCameraFade function. If you want to put down more Debug.Log lines to narrow down the issue, that'll best the best place.

• @Temmy : that was it! I don't know why it was unticked, but... That was it! Thank you!

I thought I checked side by side all cameras between a working scene and the non-working one but that tickbox totally slipped.

Thank you both! I'm sorry that, as usual, a seemingly gargantuan issue was literally a tickbox away from being solved :sweat_smile: