Forum rules - please read before posting.

Active Inputs?

edited April 2023 in Technical Q&A

I'm assuming this would be fairly simple. Tried the forums for a few hours with no real luck. Ok, I have a poster with a hotspot, Camera Switch[goes to a camera in a different area with the HD poster] -dialogue-[player says a few things] -input check[I wanted to wait on the poster until player clicks mouse Fire1, before camera switch back to player] the input click isnt working. After more researching, I learned about [Active Inputs] but dont really understand how to get it to work. Yes, I read the manual, but still not sure if this is what I need or what to use in the ActionList Editor after creating the Active Input. Update: Ok I got a better understanding on how the input click actually works. So, now I'm not sure how to do this. Basically, just want to pause on the poster and wait for player to click the mouse before going to the other camera.

Comments

• edited April 2023

Using an Active Input would involve splitting the logic into two ActionLists: one with the original camera-switch and player dialogue, and another to switch the camera back to the normal view. There'd be no Input: Check Action in use here.

It's that second ActionList that the Active Input would run. To limit its interactability to only during this time, you'd disable it by default, and use the Input: Toggle active Action to enable it after the first camera switch, and disable it after the second.

With the latest AC release, however, there's a much easier way to handle this - similar to the workflow you began with.

From v1.77.0, it's now possible to have a QTE run indefinitely - meaning you can have it wait for a specific input. It's similar to Input: Check, but will run continously until the input is detected - unlike the latter which only reads input for the single frame that Action is run.

To follow this method, you can remove the Active Input, and replace your Input: Check with an Input: QTE Action, setting the QTE type to Single Keypress, checking Run forever?, and supplying details of the input to detect.

• This is awesome news. But tried it out. It didnt work. But I think the mistake might be on my side. It goes to the other camera with the HD Poster [which is in a black box] but then after the dialogue finishes, the menu option comes on in the corner and clicking does nothing. I'm assuming that I didnt set something up right? Did I need to do more to the camera? It's recognized as an AC game camera.

• Best to see your updated ActionList, as well as the contents of the Status box at the time. You can enable this from the bottom of the Settings Manager, and will show up in the Game window at runtime.

• Ok, 2 things I did realize was that the input and main camera swap action needed to be on the second poster, the HD poster that the first interaction brings me to. Second, is that I'm trying to click on this poster to bring me back to the main camera using a game camera and not the player. Is this method possible? The AC status shows normal, current player: MC. And current camera: poster 1 HD Cam.
  • You can use a regular Hotspot on the poster if you want the game to react to the player clicking on it. If that's the intended way to revert your camera, it sounds like there'd be no need for Active Inputs.