Forum rules - please read before posting.

New UCC3 integrations questions before prototyping

Hey Chris and the community!

Quick update:
I've been on that Resident Evil/Silent Hill clone project for the past 2 years and worked with someone else, we didn't end up using AC/UCC since my game dev partner wanted to build something custom, unfortunately we had to shelf that project for multiple reasons (I still hold the assets I produced for it so I'm not too sad, I learnt a lot).

Now the actual topic:
I'm prototyping a doom (retro) clone with UCC and I wanted to implement some adventure mechanics (puzzles, interactables, conversations with NPCs). I already have the whole player working, shooting, reloading, movement, inventory (with Ultimate Inventory by opsive as well).

All in all their new modular approach to each feature is pretty nice, as such I was curious if I could achieve the same once I incorporate AC? I checked the new readme file associated with the integration and some parts of it are modular. I'm a bit lost if I should or shouldn't use "x" part though. While the readme document is very thorough I was curious to know if some video about implementing AC with UCC 3 was in the plans?

If anything, I only wanted to use AC for puzzles/conversation/interactables (specially physic based or switch for doors, "à la Doom"). I know I can turn AC on and off and can sync up the inventory with UCC, would this work since I'm using Ultimate Inventory instead of UCC's though? It's like a triple integration thing, maybe I'm making things more complex than their are. Of course I'm well familiar with all the videos right now and used AC extensively for adventure prototypes only (to great results). I was curious to have all of you guys opinion.

PS:
Thanks again Chris for creating that 3rd person Resident Evil scene for AC by the way, it was of great inspiration to us while we were building our game.

Comments

• The UCC v3 integration includes both the ability to have AC automatically add/remove AC inventory items when adding/removing UCC equivalents, as well as have UCC Interactables run AC ActionList when invoked.

As it includes a demo scene, I'd recommend trying the integration out in a fresh project before attempting to incorporate it into your game proper.

• Thank you for the quick answer Chris, I hope you're doing well!

As I understand it, using Ultimate Inventory in addition to UCC isn't an issue then? nice!

I'll definitely setup the demo scene, since I barely started the project it shouldn't be a problem, thanks again.

• Hello again!

I just updated Adventure Creator with the latest release and can't seem to make the demo scene work for the UCC 3/AC anymore (which worked on a previous version of AC), it might be related to something wrong with my project but I wanted to make sure it only happened to me?

I hope that's not too much to ask of course, I can just troubleshoot longer and eventually find the answer to my issue for sure.

• I'll need some specifics. What are your UCC/AC version numbers, and in what way is it not working?

• edited April 2023

Sorry I thought I wouldn't bother you with a more in-depth troubleshoot, here are the version numbers and the issue as it is shown in the console, I saw someone have that same issue before but it was left unanswered (that person asked among a multitude of other topics in the thread, thus the question was lost in the flood).

AC version is: 1.77.1
    UCC version is: 3.0.9

console:

"Error: There is no look source attached to the character Atlas_AC. Ensure the character has a look source attached. For player characters the look source is the Camera Controller, and AI agents use the Local Look Source.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.ThirdPersonController.Character.MovementTypes.Adventure:GetDeltaYawRotation (single,single,single,single) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/ThirdPersonController/Character/MovementTypes/Adventure.cs:77)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler:GetRotationInput (single,single,single&) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Character/UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler.cs:67)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.SimulationManager/CharacterComponents:Move (bool) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/SimulationManager.cs:59)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.SimulationManager:MoveCharacters (bool) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/SimulationManager.cs:261)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.SimulationManager:FixedUpdate () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/SimulationManager.cs:229)"

I followed every step of the manual to be sure, even those that I wouldn't require for the integration demo scene, couldn't quite spot the issue.

• I saw someone have that same issue before but it was left unanswered

Could you give a link to this?

I followed every step of the manual to be sure, even those that I wouldn't require for the integration demo scene, couldn't quite spot the issue.

The error message itself is coming from UCC. Have you tried following the steps it describes?

• Oh I thought for sure it came from AC I looked at the wrong forum then, my apologies.

As for a link to the thread:
    https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/9125/how-to-intergrate-ac-with-ucc/p1

"Cheo" mentions a similar (not identical I guess) problem midway through his post.

I'll report back what I find on the UCC forums!

• I've done some digging, and while I can't recreate the issue, I do think I've seen what's causing it.

Instead of spawning the Player prefab at runtime via the Settings Manager, place them in the scene file manually, and assign them as the "Character" in the UCC Camera's Camera Controller Inspector.

I've updated the UCC v3 Integration Readme and example scenes with this step.

• edited April 2023

Thank you!

I'll do that right away, I'll also inquire to UCC in case there is some other trick I'm missing.

EDIT:
    It fixed it! I'll repeat that process for each of my scene now, awesome!