Forum rules - please read before posting.

Trouble while skipping cutscenes

Hello! I'm having trouble with skipping cutscenes. I have a cutscene that ends in a conversation, and the different conversation paths have their own cutscenes, then they converge on a final cutscene, no matter which path you take. But in each of the cases, activating the EndCutscene input, it seems to immediately quit out without running the rest of the nodes. I'm hoping that if you skip during the first cutscene, that it would still run the 'start conversation' node so that you'll get to the next portion, still. Otherwise important actions won't run in later action lists/cutscenes. As a test, I tried adding a in a add inventory node and the item is not added if I skip during the timeline action node.

After reading some other posts here in the forum about skipping, It looks like there was not an easy way to skip timelines only. I tried writing a script that would find the current active playable director and move the timeline to just before the end, and stop and dialog, and that worked, but it still waits for the amount of time the timeline would have run, so it looks like maybe it's using a wait function not necessarily a callback of the timeline finishing.

I'd really appreciate any feedback or guidance, thank you!

Comments

• What's your AC version? The current release's Engine: Control Timeline Action should end once the Timeline it's set to control has ended - regardless of method.

Given your mention of Timeline, I'm not sure how much it factors into the original issue. If you just rely on EndCutscene, i.e. without a custom script, Timelines should be skipped and Cutscenes should end on a Conversation when reached. Is this not the behaviour you get? If not, share details/screenshots and I'll see if I can recreate it.

• Ah sorry, I should have included the version number, sorry for the lack of context: 1.72.2

I also tried creating a new branch in Git and upgraded to 1.77.4 (which was probably overdue anyway, and so far in our testing is working great, no issues.)

But upgrading didn't seem to resolve the skipping issue. No errors pop up in the console when skipping.

One thing I just realized though, I wasn't always sure about why a node ended in 'skip to' or 'continue' when connecting to the next node. My action lists nodes aren't always in numbered order and it looks like it only does 'continue' when it going sequentially. Could that cause a problem for skipping behavior? Do the nodes need to be ordered sequentially for that to work correctly?

• No - the manner in which the next Action is run should not be a factor.

I'm not clear on the exact behaviour you're referring to - can you provide steps to recreate the issue?

• Sorry this wasn't a very good post asking for help, there definitely wasn't enough context to get help. But I figured it out by creating some simpler action lists as tests, which worked fine. I realized what was happening is that there's a starting action list that sets everything up, then that calls a cutscene action list (with an Actionlist: Run, node). But when I ran endCutScene, it was ending the higher one too. I was able to get the functionality I was looking for by making the main one unskippable, but the cutscene actionlist skippable, and that solved it, so now it skips that cutscene and moves directly to the 'run conversation' node that was at the end of it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my posts, I really appreciate your time and support.