Forum rules - please read before posting.

Long term viability of Unity (and thus AC)?

2»

Comments

• Similar to a lot of you, AC and Dialogue System (and Playmaker) are my go-to installs for most projects. I'm rooting for Unity to backpedal and fix things enough that I can lose any anxiety about those Assets leaving my life :)

• So, AppLovin, the ad company Unity was trying to destroy, has created a migration tool and it in an early testing phase... this could be helpful in the future:
    https://github.com/ProjectUnifree/unifree

• I'll be watching where AC moves, and will follow along with it. I'll just work on story/script/designs until this whole thing resolves itself one way or another.

I'll be more than happy to invest in AC on different engine once more.

• Looks like I missed this thread.

Anyway, there's no way I'll ever cross those thresholds, but even so, what's stopping Unity moving the goalposts at a later date?

I'm so comfortable with Unity now it would be painful to move, but if Adventure Creator were to be waiting for me on another platform, it would certainly make the transition easier. I can almost see the Blueprint version of action lists...

• Also just putting it out there: I'd happily buy AC a second time if it's for Godot 👀

• edited September 2023

Unreal has a new large migration grant system. 25 Megs.
    Sorry this was few years ago...

• So, I released a game using AC a few years ago (with a lot of help from Chris). I'm not planning on releasing another game on Unity but will happily re-buy AC on any platform that Chris decides on...even if I never make a game on my own again! Without a doubt the best third party system on an indie platform that I've ever worked on.

• I don't have enough technical knowledge, so how long it would take to transfer complicated asset such as AC to Godot or Unreal? Godot supports C# which probably helps somewhat, but it still would probably take a year or so?

• I’m feeling very disillusioned with Unity and their CEO in general at the moment. For what it’s worth Chris, I would *certainly* be happy to pay another fee for an Unreal version of AC if you ever decide to invest time into porting it over. Very appreciative for all you’ve done to develop AC.
  • Whatever happens I hope support will still be available for both Unity and whichever engine(s) AC gets ported to.

Thanks

• I've bought AC many many years ago, and I want to say that i also would buy at full price a new version of AC for Godot. Unity is also ending the plus tier, the one i use, so in order to not show the unity logo we have to pay 2000 euros per year, that's crazy. I'm really fed up with unity missteps and completely lost my confidence on their relationship with us indie developers.

• Another vote for "AC for Godot"! And I'd be more than happy to pay the full price again, too.

What about a Kickstarter project for this?

• I see a lot of championing for Godot, and from what I understand the Escoria framework that already exists for it is still somewhat alpha feeling, limited, so it may be worth porting there. But I would throw Unreal into the hat simply because it’s the most direct analog to Unity as an engine with surely the same capabilities, for the 2D and 3D components of AC, and because I know that Godot is not especially optimized with its data structures and not very performant when compared to Unity and Unreal. But it may be more attractive in its accessibility. I know that I will be focusing on Unreal from this week forward, and while I’m waiting to see how Unity responds, I really don’t see myself trusting them to serve the core PC and console game market again, with the direction they’ve been going.
  • OK. Looks like Unity are prepping for an announcement today.

Thanks all for your patience - I'll post where things stand on AC's end after this.

• edited September 2023

Hello,

I'm new to this community, but I've been working on my own projects for a few years with the help of Playmaker and Naninovel. My next project was going to heavily rely on AC, which I believed would save me a significant amount of time. Unfortunately, recent news has given me pause. Unity's recent actions have cast a shadow over its reputation, and many developers now question its trustworthiness.

Unreal can seem overly complex for the types of games most of us create, but I'm willing to learn it if AC remains a viable option. I have faith that Godot will gain more traction going forward. Many seasoned developers have come to acknowledge that they have placed excessive reliance on Unity, and if Unity were to let them down, their options for recourse would be limited.

• The sentiments here are all appreciated, thank you.

I've posted my stance on the situation here.

• Seems they rolled back and apologized... hopefully this means AC will continue to have it´s home on Unity...