Forum rules - please read before posting.

"Documents" question

RayRay
edited March 21 in Technical Q&A

Hello,

I'm creating a VN/Adventure blend game. Still trying to figure out the mechanics, but generally the game interface will consist of two areas: visual on right side (adventure part) and textual on left side (VN part). This left part (Narrator) is going to tell a story as it unfold...

So, I have some questions about this Narrator part:
1. Will be AC' "Documents" system the best approach for realization of this idea?
2. How do you format text in Documents? So far, when I load document, only left part of text is visible (I have "text aligned to left" settings). It looks formatted exactly as I see it in Scrivener, but right part is truncated.
3. Is it possible to use scrolling in Documents? Didn't find any settings for that so far.
4. I'd like text appear in Narrator with some effect, like typewriting (letter by letter) or line by line. Is it possible?

Any advice will be very appreciated,
Thanks!

Comments

• Will be AC' "Documents" system the best approach for realization of this idea?

Documents are a way for you to present the player with pre-written text that can optionally span multiple pages. It's more intended for e.g. picking up a letter, with the option to add it to a separate "Inventory"-like system if they want to re-read it later.

I'm not sure exactly what your needs are so far as the Narrator goes, but I don't think the Document system is right for this case.

How do you format text in Documents? So far, when I load document, only left part of text is visible (I have "text aligned to left" settings). It looks formatted exactly as I see it in Scrivener, but right part is truncated.

If you rely on Unity UI for your Menu, you have access to much more style settings so far as reaction to dynamic content goes - since you can use Unity's Text (or TextMeshPro Text) component, as well as the various Content Size Fitter etc components.

This goes for all Menus: not just Document menus.

In general I'd recommend Unity UI for menus, with the "Adventure Creator" source option better reserved for rapid-prototyping.

Is it possible to use scrolling in Documents? Didn't find any settings for that so far.

With Unity UI, you can parent a given Text component to a ScrollView, allowing you to scroll through larger text blocks.

I'd like text appear in Narrator with some effect, like typewriting (letter by letter) or line by line. Is it possible?

The Speech system allows for this - a Dialogue: Play speech Action with no Speaker assigned will be considered narration, and the Speech Manager can be used to enable narration-scrolling.

If you can share more details on exactly what behaviour you're looking for, I can give more specific advice. However, you might be intereseted in the Chat Log script on the AC wiki, which allows all speech to be placed in a single Text block:

https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Chat_log

You'd likely need to edit it to suit your own needs (e.g. limiting to narration etc), but it may help to get things going in the right direction.

• Thank you Chris!

I think I'll try Unity UI for menus. I already did some of your tutorials on it and it worked well.

As in my story the Main Character collects a different types of information (mostly in form of book pages) all the text goes to different journals...

Is it possible to have One tabbed journal to keep all multi-pages journals in one place?

Thank you!

• Not Journals - but Documents, yes. An InventoryBox element can be set to display Documents, in which case it'll show all Documents "carried" by the Player.

• Great! Thank you.