Forum rules - please read before posting.

Question about text files and on screen messages

I don't know if it's a well-formulated question, but I'm making a small test game and I'll have a lot of documents in the game, that is, log files and "monitor-screens" where the player will get information! It's a sci-fi genre, a 3D point and click game. What would be the best approach to this situation?

-For "screens" with information and messages ( one or more pages..), should menus be made or is there another method? I wonder if there is a problem if there are a lot of menus, say 10 or so or 15?

-For short forms such as text messages, what would be the best approach, documents, journal or just a label, since it is only text without any images for now, maybe the texture of the paper in the background..

Comments

• One our recent games had exactly this mechanic and was in the same genre. We used an AC journal for this. You can have a journal have a background texture and you can add as many 'pages' as you like. Then, when the player comes upon a log file, you just have to bring up the journal and show a particular page (or pages)

If you'd like to see the effect of how it was implemented in our game, PM me and I'll share with you the game's itch page and you can watch a let's play video to see the effect.

• That's what I was wondering about, sure I'd like to see thanks...

• For text that you can find around a scene, I'd recommend the use of Documents over Journals - the latter being more intended for more "diary"-like mechanics, where pages are added to a single document over time.

You can use different Document menus (by unlocking the intended one / unlocking others) depending on the Document, but you can also use custom scripting to extract their page text if you want to embed them in a custom UI system, e.g.:

int documentID = 2; // ID set in Inventory Manager
    Document document = KickStarter.inventoryManager.GetDocument (documentID);
    string pageText = document.GetPageText (0);

• Thanks Chris! I'll try this approach as well..