Forum rules - please read before posting.

Gather text - Not finding dialogue in parameters

Hi All,

I'm having an issue whilst trying to gather text ready for voiceover recording.

I use a handy temaplate action list asset for all of my "pickup" actions, which gives me a dialogue parameter before the pickup, then all the pickup actions (hiding hotspot, hiding item, adding to inventory etc) then another dialogue line once it's in the inventory.

It's a handy, quick and neat way to have a single action list Run item for any item in the game, which i just alter with the parameters for each item: (See image)

Unfortunately it seems the "gather text" function of the speech system does not read these parameter based dialogue entries.

Have i misunderstood a setting somewhere?, or does anyone have a workaround or advice on how to ensure these diaogue lines are collected?

Thanks in advance
Andi

AC V1.79.3

Comments

• edited April 14

I've found 3 other posts on the forums around this same question - (ranging from 2018 - 2021)

Unless something fundamental has changed with the way parameters are setup, I'm guessing the simple answer is I need individual dialogue play actions seperate from my neat little action list asset, in order for the gather text function to find them.

Happy if there's a new way around it, if not i can get editting!

• edited April 15

Dialogue holds more data than just the raw text - it also needs to know who the speaker is, as well as audio/lipsync data, etc. For this reason, you'll need to use a dedicated Dialogue: Play speech Action to store it.

You can still rely on parameters to reference this, however. There are a couple of ways to do it:

1. Store each speech Action in its own ActionList asset, and then replace your "Speech after pickup" String parameter with a Unity Object parameter. In the ALA_Bard_Gene.. asset, use this parameter to run a second ActionList: Run Action with Wait until finish checked. It's then a case of setting this parameter value to the asset that holds the speech Action you wish to play.
    2. Create a new scene, and store each speech Action in a single Cutscene. Gather the text, and then make a note of the ID you wish to play. Then, use this Action - which supports Integer parameters - to reference and play the line.