Forum rules - please read before posting.

Disabling a specific input on a Specific Menu

I my game you can use the Right Click to do some stuff in regular gameplay but I want to disable it entirely once a specific menu is Unlocked and Turned On and enable it again once you exit this menu. Can this be done through AL?
I am using AC Menus.

Thanks.

Comments

• What is the input?

If it's defined as an Active Input, you can use the Input: Toggle active Action to disable it as part of the Menu's ActionList when turn on asset file, and vice-versa.

• Sorry, I was mistaken before, the menu I want Right Click to be disable on is UnityUI based, not AC.

This are my current settings:

Very basic, but I don´t know where to start.
    Guess the Input I have to disable is InteractionB on the menu Turn On AL?

• Is it the "Right Click" active input you have defined, or the InteractionB input?

If InteractionB, which behaviour of it specifically are you looking to disable? The examining of Hotspots?

• Actually I dont know which one is it, that´s the part I dont´t understand.
    I want to disable it entirely.

• edited April 9

To put it another way: what is it about right-clicking while the menu is open that you are trying to prevent?

• edited April 9

OK, I realize I havent´t been sufficiently explaining about this, so here is a GIF.

Basically that menu acts the same as an Inventory would, except it´s not Drag&Drop, it was custom made by an old team member with help from you and it works great.

You combine clues the same as a normal item inventory would, a-la DiscWorld Noir or Blackwell games, the weird thing is while on the menu somehow the Right Click can also be used to perform the same function as the Left Click (select/highlight clues) except weirdly it does not mark them with a red circle -you can see what I mean on the GIF, the first couple of clues are me Right Clicking, the latter one is the Left Click.

So I wanted to disable Right Clicking entirely on this menu (hell, maybe even the whole game, why not? Now that I think about it, we haven´t conveyed any use of the Right Click on tutorials) to not confuse the players.

Everywhere else in the game, the Right Click is never used (which does not mean is disabled, maybe unbound ??), except for when skipping dialogues, you can do that with any of the Clicks/MouseButtons. I don´t know why, since the Inputs where defined by this ex team-member.

• You can disable default mouse click behaviour by unchecking Mouse clicks have default functionality? in the Settings Manager's Interface panel.

You'll then need to rely on an input named InteractionA, mapped to "mouse 0", to regain control with the left-mouse button. The lack of a similar input named InteractionB should then prevent right-clicks.

• edited April 10

Will try soon.

Just did that, but the problem persist.

Weirdly, "InteractionB" still appears listed on the Settings Manager

• Just did that, but the problem persist.

Do you have any Inputs mapped to the input named "mouse 1"?

Weirdly, "InteractionB" still appears listed on the Settings Manager

The Settings Manager only lists Inputs listed that will be recognised if present in the Input Manager - it's not a list of what's defined.

• Do you have any Inputs mapped to the input named "mouse 1"?

I did! Here is my Unity Input Manager right now:

One of the Fires 2 was binded to "mouse 1", went ahead and deleted it thus unbinding it I guess, but It did not help my problem.

I notice this Manager probably has too mutch clutter, should I go ahead and delete some of the stuff I know the game won´t use? Maybe they conflict... like the joysticks buttons for example. Guess this comes like this with Unity by default.

The only real inputs created for the game are Menu, FlashHold, FlasHotspots, and SkipSpeech, EndCutscene

• One of the Fires 2 was binded to "mouse 1"

How about either of the two Submit inputs?

I don't see an InteractionA input, however - if you have Mouse clicks have default functionality? unchecked, regular input in the scene shouldn't work unless you're using Unity's Input System, as opposed to Input Manager. Might that be the case?

• edited April 13

I am not using Unity Input System.

The submits were not bound any of the clicks.

As an experiment, I went ahead and deleted everything from Input Manager, then AC prompted me to have a "Menu" created, so it did.

Then I created "InteractionA" in the Input Manager bound to "mouse 0", thus having only two real inputs available I guess.

The result was my player could move and use the Inventory just fine but upon entering the "Notebook" Menu from the GIF neither of the Clicks worked. I though I was on the right track but it keeps eluding me.

• Your Menu relies on Unity UI, which means inputs are obtained from the Event System.

The Event System, by default, relies on an input named "Submit" to register clicks. Duplicating your InteractionA and renaming it Submit should cause Menus to become clickable again.

• I have done that on the Unity Input Manager but there has not been any change whatsover. Should "Submit" be bound to "mouse 0" too or just unbound?

• Bind it to "mouse 0" to have it respone to left-clicks.

I'm only assuming that Submit is used because this is the default, however. At runtime, look for your EventSystem GameObject - does it list "Submit" in the Submit Button field?

• Yes, it does list "Submit" as Submit Button.

• Binding Submit to "mouse 0" should do it, then.

• edited April 16

Sadly it does not work, you meant in the Input Manager right? Nothing has to be changed on the Event System?

Just to recap, here´s how my stuff is configured at the moment:

• Thanks for the details.

You don't need to create a "LeftClick" active input if it's not set to run a specific ActionList.

Is the shot of the EventSystem taken from runtime, and are there any other components attached? AC has its own Event System that should replace "Standalone Input Module" with its own "Optional Mouse Input Module" component.

It looks like you're using a custom one - is this down to there being an Event System in the scene file, or one assigned as a custom EventSystem prefab at the top of the Menu Manager?

The inputs do look correctly set up, though, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem. Is it possible a custom script is being used to detect the input?

• edited April 17

Is the shot of the EventSystem taken from runtime, and are there any other components attached? AC has its own Event System that should replace "Standalone Input Module" with its own "Optional Mouse Input Module" component.

The screenshot is taken from runtime.

Went and checked, actually there was an Event System prefab configured on my MenuManager:

I went ahead and removed it from there, leaving it at "None" then checked the Event System at runtime and it changed to "Optional Mouse Input Module" as you said.

There is also a Base input Script down there too. Don´t know if that is part of AC or not.

No change however, still the same problem. But I feel we might be closer to fixing it (?)