Forum rules - please read before posting.

Pause Menu Breaking Game/Save Error.

I am using the default 2D templates and just trying to get it going. Unity 2022.3.21f1 OpenGL 4.5 Linux/Ubuntu.

When I click the menu, I get the pause menu and can close it, but the other functions of AC stop working. Hotspots don't respond, camera stops moving with mouse, everything is dead.
I also noticed if I try saving, I receive this error..

"Cannot save at this time - the ActionListAsset 'SetupPauseMenu' is blocking gameplay"

I did find a post explaining how to fix this, but the line mentioned was not in the script. I assume it was outdated. I also imagine these pause menu issues are related. They "feel" related to me, but I'm too dumb to know how to solve this on my own.

Additional information: I have used AC in the past and never had issues with it, but it has been a couple years and its clearly been updated a bit since my last go with it. I am fairly confident I know how to use the system in general, but this has stopped me in my tracks.

Comments

• Sorta "fixed" it by loading the default actions and other managers. I'm leaving this up though as something is still broken with the new (new to me) 2D Template setup when using new game wizard. I literally didn't touch anything that could have broken it.

• Welcome to the community, @BabaBooey.

It sounds like the ActionList that initialises the Pause menu is the issue - though its default settings should prevent this, and I can't recreate the issue on my end.

If you go to your Pause menu, select the ActionList when turn on field's SetupPauseMenu asset and open it up in the ActionList Editor window.

Its When running field should be set to Run In Background. If this isn't the case, does the issue get resolved if you make it so?

• I tried it: setting it to "Runnig In Background" from "Pause Gameplay" gives back the AC interactive functions and the nineverb menu.
    However the Save button disappears from the pause menu -> after clicking the Load than the Back button, the Save button shows up again.

• edited April 16

@ch4run The field should be set to Run In Background - it looks like this, and the other ActionLists, are reverting back to Pause Gameplay after their creation.

You'll need to set this to "Run in background" both for SetupPauseMenu, and ActiveInput_PauseGame. The latter is run if you open the Pause menu by pressing the Escape key - as opposed to pressing the "Menu" button in the lower-left corner.

I will see this fixed in the next update, but that should get things working again in the meantime - thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this.