Forum rules - please read before posting.

Adding page X of Y to a journal

Hi all,

Is there already a simple system for adding a "page x of y" text item to the bottom of a journal page?

I can see other threads where getting the totalnumber of pages in a journal via a custom script can be done, but wondered what the most efficient workflow is for setting that up in an action?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited April 17

After further searching, I found this great tutorial for custom tokens that do exactly what i was after:
    https://adventurecreator.org/tutorials/creating-custom-tokens

But unfortunately it's not clear to me how/where I run this script during gameplay - and when should it be triggered, so it's always updated no matter what scene I'm in?

Is there a place to put C# scripts so they are always called on update? or does this script just need dropping onto a gameobject in every scene in the game to ensure it's on update function is continually called? - is this efficient?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

• If your Menu uses Unity UI, you can just attach the script to the Canvas prefab.

Otherwise, you can attach it to a prefab, and then have it spawn into the scene automatically using Events.

To do this, open up the Events Editor in the top toolbar, create a "Scene: Change: After" event, and have it run an Object: Add or remove Action to spawn the prefab once each scene begins.

• As always great advice, thanks Chris, I'll go for the later in this case, I'm using AC menus for my UI and that way i wont forget to add it to scenes later.

I've been using AC for years now (thanks so much for all the support) and I dont know how I've not noticed that events editor before! that's really handy!