Forum rules - please read before posting.

Issues following 2d tutorial

I am trying to follow the 2d tutorial and I am having issues with the character walking around the screen.

The game scene art does not seem to match the game play screen. I draw the navmesh2d on the graphic but the character does not seem to follow inside it properly.

I can draw the navmesh up into the sky and the character will then be able to walk higher on the screen but not up into the sky like the drawn navmesh.

Not sure what is happening and why the navmesh drawn on the scene does not match what happens during game play.

I have followed the tutorial several times using both unity 4.6 and 5 with adventure creator 1.45 and 1.45a.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, @irwa82 - though I apologise for the trouble you're having.

Without seeing some screenshots of your scene I can only speculate, but it sounds like a depth issue: i.e. your NavMesh and game art are some distance apart (or your PlayerStart and game art), and your camera is set to Projection rather than Orthographic.

However, if you follow the 2D tutorial strictly then neither of those things should be the case.  If you can post some screenshots of your scene (in 2D, and at an angle), with your active camera selected - and the camera's inspector, then it should be possible to discover the problem.
  • Hi Chris,

I worked out what the problem was. I had the piviot points of the MyPlayer Object and the Idle_D child object were in different places which was causing the problem. I now have it working as expected by having the pivot points in the same place at the feet.

Another question though.

I have been looking at a few different adventure game engines an most of them you choose a graphic size for your backgrounds that you will be creating e.g. 1080x720 and then you make all your game backgrounds to that size and if it is bigger then it will scroll.

I have been using your demo 2d artwork but the game is not showing the entire graphic. How do you set the game size so that you can design it to a set graphic background and know that it will display properly?

Also I like the fact that you as the developer have created video tutorials on using your game engine. The only thing missing from the 2d tutorial is changing between rooms or game scenes whatever you want to call it.

Regards,
    Anthony

• Switching scenes is very simple: just use the Engine: Change scene Action, and enter the name/number of the scene you want to switch to (once it's been added in your Build settings).

The best way to ensure that the scene will display properly is to lock the aspect ratio.  In your Settings Manager, check Force aspect ratio?, and enter in a value.  Then, make your game with the Game Window set to the same ratio (set at the top-left of the window).  When a player switches to a different aspect ratio, black borders will be added as appropriate.