Forum rules - please read before posting.

first person character sample

I am trying now my own scene not using the El_TinPot but another animated character. I have in the past downloaded SkeletonData, RawMocap  but neither has the possibilities that El-TinPot has. could you recommend a character with enough legacy animations to be used with AC that I could buy?

Comments

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can tell Unity to import animations as Legacy, rather than Mecanim - it shouldn't matter what the source is set to.
  • Legacy or Mecanim is not my issue (I could always learn Mecanim) what I am looking for is a good animation character such as you have with TinPot but more humane with plenty of animations available. In one of your Tutorials (don't remember which) you mentioned one such that one could buy from Asset Store
  • I don't remember either - if you could point out which one, I may be able to help.  But this is a general Unity question - not an AC one.  You'd be better off asking on the official Unity forums about this.
  • You can try to find good ones. But it's hard to find good animations (facial, expressions and such). Most character with animations available are for action games.
  • I don't think there is a lot of legacy characters left on the asset store. A lot of people are going to mecanim now. But if you don't really like the characters on the asset store you can try out iclone which is a animation software and then bring them to unity making them to work with legacy animations. They have the most amazing and a whole lot of animations to use but it isn't cheap though the website is www.reallusion.com but there is also www.daz3d.com that has good ones but they are a bit high poly but you can get a plugin to deal with that and the application is free and the models you can get are resonable price. Not sure if you ment that but thought i will help out.
  • I found an excellent package for free that converts Mecanim animations to legacy called "Animation Baker" in Asset Store, now I can make use of a lot of animations such as the Raw Mocap, etc.

One other thing: I want to move a door up/down, open a hinged coffer, etc I used iTween for that and for the life of me I can't find a way to do this in AC, the Object Teleport does it but it is too fast not smooth like using iTween. In general how  can I move objects at the speed I want (w/o scripting !) from here to there.

• If you set up your door's animations with a Mecanim controller, you can use the Object: Animate Action to control any parameters you've defined in that controller.
  • I've already implemented a door open, etc I was missing the Moveable script which is now understood. Thank you.

Your suggestion about using Mecanim is well taken but I haven't been able to implement one Mecanim scene yet. I mean your tutorial 'Making a Mecanim character ' is fine but is missing the implementation with Action Lists at the end.The tutorial ends up with what to include into the Player parameters but doesn't continuing with an example by including the cutscene or Interaction by ,say, making the player walk, run.... that would be nice to have !!

• If you're looking for a tutorial on making a Mecanim character, the new 2.5D tutorial covers this. See the 1:25 mark.