Forum rules - please read before posting.

Game optimization (hidden or moved hotspots)

edited July 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hello again,
First of all, I would like to thank you for the asset and for the help offered.

I have some questions related to the optimization of the way of working, in order to know before finalizing the project.
How do you recommend regarding memory and resource optimization?

1. Let's say you take an object (via hotspot) and put it in inventory. For the "disappearance" of the hotspot, you recommend that it be moved (as in the 2D tutorial) to a marker, outside the camera or to put the hotspot on the invisible and disable it (leaving it in the same place).

2. The same if you drag an item from the inventory and attach it to a hotspot. When it reaches the hotspot, the object under the hotspot should be made visible or teleported to a marker coming from another part of the screen? Or is there another better way to put an object on the map and stay there?

So the questions would revolve around hiding through invisibility or moving hotspots.

Comments

• edited July 2020

There are alternatives - you could, for example, delete or spawn such objects to/from the scene using the Object: Add or remove Action.

You could also control the visibility of it through animation playback.

However, outside of edge-case scenarios, I wouldn't value one method over the other so far as performance goes - it's more down to workflow preference.

Hiding an object from view won't improve performance by a whole lot - so it's more about the performance impact of it being in the scene at all. The focus should instead be on optimising your textures / hierarchy, etc. You shouldn't typically have to worry about the memory impact of moving a Hotspot in/out of view.

• Ok, nice to know. Thanks a lot, as all time :)