Forum rules - please read before posting.

Feature suggestion: rebuilding playerprefs from save files

It's nice to be able to have save files limited to specific player profiles, but there is one issue: if the player copies their save files to a new PC, they lose the registry playerprefs data, and the game doesn't recognise their saves unless they recreate a profile with the same number. It would be nice for AC to automatically rebuild a profile if it detects orphan save files.

If AC could recreate a profile and rebuild all variables that are linked to Options Data from their initial values, that would be amazing - and it would be even better if we had the option to extract certain variables from an autosave, or from the most recently saved game. For example, whenever I save the game, I make sure to rename the profile that contains it (in my case, to the in-game Time string). If we could access the Time string in the autosave without loading it and rename the profile to it when it's rebuilt, that would be perfect.

Comments

• An Option-linked Variable is saved exclusively in Options Data - there is no equivalent value in the save file.

It should, though, be possible to write an alternative iOptionsFileHandler interface that instead stores options/profile data in a file alongside other saves. This way, a user could copy all data from the same place.

• edited September 2020

Yeah, I know they aren't saved in playerprefs! I just meant that in my own specific use case, if the profile is lost, the last save always contains a non-linked variable with the name the profile needs, and the rest of the data isn't super important.

But yes, having a separate file for the linked variables/profile name would be even better! Sounds neater and more precise than looking for orphan files and rebuilding a profile out of the initial values. Is this something you think you might implement?

• I'll have a crack at it, at least.