Forum rules - please read before posting.

Would it be possible to implement draggable inventory and menu items?

Hello,
I'm still in the early stages of game development.
I already have a decent number of objects in my Inventory menu, and a fair few additional menus in my Menu menu, and there are for sure more to come.

I'm not quite sure what the etiquette is for suggesting improvements but here's one:

I wonder if it would be possible to implement a draggable system to be able to quickly re-order elements within these AC sub menus, so that they can be placed in logical groups relevant to the game.

My creative process is such that I tend not to create items in a logical order. They arrive more organically as I am trying things out, and it would be super helpful to have a quick way of rearranging these elements - like a little pair of lines on the left of each box and when you click and hold you can reorder the element. (I have no idea how much work that would entail)

Another useful function (that might be faster to implement???) would be to be able to quickly alphabetize all elements. Then I could achieve the same result by clever naming conventions.

I suspect that both of these functions would greatly speed up locating the correct item when implementing them into Action Lists.

I know you can Re-arrange them from their individual settings icon, but I tend to avoid doing this because it is rather laborious to move things up or down one step at a time, and there never seems to be enough time to do all of the other things.

Cheers.

Comments

• Being able to drag-drop AC data lists is certainly something on my own nice-to-have list. Though I can't speak for its feasibility just yet, it is something I plan on looking into.

I'm not so sure of the advantages of auto-alphabeticising, though this could be implemented via a custom Editor script.

One thing to be aware of, though, is that Unity will arrange popup list elements into hierarchies separated by slashes. So if your items are named e.g.:

Items/Potion
    Items/Money
    Weapons/Sword
    Weapons/Axe

Then they'll appear in "Items" and "Weapons" parent categories when listed in Actions.

• heh heh. Ah - 'nice to have lists'! I just added 'little squirmy flowers that respond to the stink cloud' to mine. Sounds good.

I wasn't suggesting auto-alphabeticising, rather that it could be a settings option that the editor could choose to apply.

The below info is very helpful. Thanks, I'll give using slashes a whirl.