Forum rules - please read before posting.

Does AC support HDRP?

Maybe this is a silly question, but I'm not really sure. I will start a completely new project soon and I'm on the decision of using the built-in render pipeline or the HDRP (2019.4.15f1). Does AC support the HDRP? Any problems with it?

Thx!

Comments

• For what is worth, we're using URP in some of our projects and it works fine. AC doesn't really care about how you render except in very specific ways (like using TextMeshPro vs. Text, although that's not really a "render" problem, but the closest I can think of). So you should be fine.

• AC work with all pipelines, yes.

• OK, that sounds really good. It's been a while since i worked with AC and starting again now. I had something in mind with some AC-scripts like lights (turning on/off, changing intensity etc) or Materials (changing emission values, materials etc). So i was not sure.

• To clarify a little further: AC will work (as in, compile and not give any errors), but there may be one or two minor things that need attention.

You should be OK with turning on/off light components, and adjusting intensity values.

Though, I recommend relying on animation for such things over components that affect them directly. For example, an Animator that transitions between "Light On" and "Light Off" states based on a parameter - and then have AC control the parameter value with the Object: Animate Action. That way, you can separate your Actions from accessing such values directly.

As for material brightening - are you talking about the Highlight component? That's typically the one area that would need some custom work, since the way a highlighting effect works will be based both on the render pipeline, and your own needs. Through event hooks, however, it's pretty simple to set up if you have a means to highlight an object in a custom way. For example, an "Outline Effect" asset on the Asset Store can be set up to react to Hotspot highlighting instead of the default "brighten material" effect, which typically only works with the Standard shader.

• Yes, I was talking about the highlight component as well. So it seems all of those are really easy to handle. No show stopper. Thx a lot!!

• Hi all, I just wanted to say that I was able to make the highlight component work in HDRP by running a search and replace on the script to change "_Color" to "_BaseColor" and then changing the material.color = newColor lines to material.SetColor("_BaseColor", newColor);

• Absolute legend!
  • Hi there! I just started using AC with URP and it's been a beautiful experience so far! Now I've run into the highlight issue and even tried out rtwarner's script change (thank you <3).

It did kind of work for brightening the material more the closer the cursor gets to the hotspot, BUT once the hotspot menu with the interaction options appears (when the cursor touches the actual hotspot), it turns completely dark again (as opposed to staying bright).

Any ideas how to fix this would be most welcome, I really love the effect!

• Welcome to the community, @Liz.

even tried out rtwarner's script change

AC should now make the change automatically if it detects HDRP is in use - if you're using Unity 2019.3 or later, you shouldn't need to have to update the script manually now.

once the hotspot menu with the interaction options appears (when the cursor touches the actual hotspot), it turns completely dark again

The manner in which a Hotspot is highlighted is separate from the conditions under when it's highlighted - AC is still in control over the act of brightening/darkening a Hotspot (unless you control it with a custom script).

It should be that the behaviour is the same regardless of render pipeline, but I can't recreate this with default settings. What is your AC version, and can you share screens of your Settings Manager and Interaction menu's properties? It may be some key setting somewhere that's affecting things.

• Oh hi Chris and thank you so much for your quick response!
    I am using Unity 2020.3.12f1 and AC v1.73.8.

I would gladly send you my screens, but before that just to make sure I did understand it right: With the update, highlighting should then work out fine in the (3D) demo with URP (not using HDRP) same as in the "old" 3D, right?

Because I just tried (just to eliminate any newbie mismanagement on my side) with freshly created projects and saw that if I run the demo with classic 3D pipeline the highlighting is working just fine, but if I create a project in URP (with updated materials) it does not work anymore.

Hmm like I said it's not a very important issue as of now, was just wondering.

• edited July 2021

Apologies - I misread you.

No, the above code / updated AC won't work for URP - each of the render pipelines are too different from each other.

AC's base "highlighting" effect, though, is designed to be customised through custom scripting / shaders, however. It's possible to make use of another asset or shader that performs its own highlighting effect, and plug it into AC's Highlight component so that it reacts to Hotspot interaction.

This script on the AC wiki, for example, provides an integration with Easy Performant Outline 2D, which is URP-compatible.