Forum rules - please read before posting.

Subtitle positioning issues in 2D.

Hey all. I've looked all over the place for an answer to this and I just cannot figure it out. I am creating a 2D point and click and have the subtitles set to play over the characters' heads. I have set the coordinates in the menu so that they are above the small reference dot, but my results tend to be all over the place.

Some characters will have the subtitles play in the middle of their body, others will have them play almost double their height above them. I can fake a fix for characters that don't walk by dragging their sprite around inside the character prefab, but doing that with characters who need to move throws their alignment all out of whack.

I'm hoping I'm missing something small here. I don't even know what I would begin to post in terms of screenshots to show the problem, so if any are needed just let me know. Is there some simple way to mark where a character's head should be? I've tried resizing the prefab instead of the sprites inside it, but at a certain point the changes don't register when I try to play the scene.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Okay... figures I break down after a week and ask then find my answer in the next few hours. I'll leave this here for other folks with my problem. On the Character Prefab there is a Speech Menu Placement Child under Dialogue Settings. I just set it to the highest sprite on my character and it seems to work perfectly.

• You could always create an empty game object as a child’s of each sprite object, position that bad boy in the most optimal location, then link that as the child instead.
  • Welcome to the community, @strbldsnch.

If no "Speech Menu Placement Child" is set, then AC will attempt to guess where subtitles should be placed. In the case of 2D characters, it will rely on the sprite child for reference.

As it sounds like your characters are made up of multiple sprites, though, you are indeed best off assigning an object in that field to set the position manually.

As @Mcdoll points out, though, this needn't strictly be a sprite - it's possible to assign an empty child object for exact control over position.