Forum rules - please read before posting.

Top down open world question.

edited February 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hello,

I am considering adventure creator but I am unsure if it is the right tool for the job.
I am working on a top down pixel art game where most of the game is taking place in a single scene. The genre is more or less a classic adventure except that the player character is controlled directly and everything is in the typical top down setup (think Stardew Valley).

Is Adventure Creator a good tool for such a project? My main concern is if the big amount of dialogs and progression variables in a single scene would become hard to keep track of compared to the classic point and click adventure where things are neatly separated in scenes.

Thanks for replies and recommendations!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I would need Adventure Creator for story, progression, puzzle logic, and dialogs. So these are the fields i am interested in.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @knorgoth.

AC can certainly handle the traditional adventure mechanics side of things - including direct control over a 2D character. Though it's for 3D, this tutorial probably gives the best idea of how AC works, and many of its principles apply to 2D games as well.

As for organising things in a single scene, it's possible to have your game logic, dialogue etc all defined in ActionList asset files, as opposed to ActionLists in the scene. Hotspots and Triggers, which do need to be in the scene, can be made to rely on ActionList assets, and - if necessary - be spawned themselves in at runtime (via custom script).

Working in a single scene also gives you the freedom of choosing between Global, Local and Component variables to store the variables that keep track of progress. Global are project-wide, Local are specific to a scene, and Component are specific to a GameObject.

If you'd like to know more about an aspect in particular, let me know and I can elaborate further.