Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot label menu?

Hi, I'm new to AC and am sure what I'm looking for is pretty simple but hoping to save myself hours of research.

I just want my game to show verbs and object names when I hover and/or click on the items in the lower-left corner of the screen.

I assume from what I have read that this is called a hotspot label menu.

Here is an example of what I hope to achieve.

Thank you, awesome product, great community!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Robotron.

Yes, the Hotspot label is the built-in way of displaying the selected object / verb line.

When using the default interface (as provided when using the New Game Wizard), the Hotspot label is part of the Hotspot menu, and is set to follow the cursor.

If you go to AC's Menu Manager and find this default Hotspot menu, you should find that its Position type setting is set to Follow Cursor.

If you instead set it to Aligned or Manual, you can reposition it to the lower-left instead.

The "Aligned" option is only available if the Menu uses AC for its rendering - as set by the Menu's Source option. When set to Adventure Creator, menus can be previewed in the Game window, and are re-styled by editing the properties in the Menu Manager.

When instead set to Unity Ui Prefab, a Menu is instead rendered using Unity's own UI system, and so its styling/positioning is altered by modifying the prefab instead. This prefab is assigned via the Linked canvas property. If you've used the New Game Wizard to create the default interface, you can switch any Menu between using AC and Unity UI by changing the Source option.

More on Menus can be found in the included Manual's "Menus overview" chapter, but if you're unsure as to which source to use - AC is more suited to rapid prototyping, which Unity UI is better for more custom stylisation.

• Thank you so much, Chris. I was sure it was very simple but this would have taken me so much time to find out (I just started learning and am having loads of fun) and I really wanted to integrate this feature so kudos for helping me out!