Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible bug for manual hotspot assignment

edited March 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hey Chris,

I've run into what might be a bug with controlling Hotspots through a custom script. Is the DeselectHotspot() method supposed to clear the current hotspot and disable the Hotspot menu?

The game I'm working on is a top-down space shooter which uses button inputs for a targeting system. The custom targeting system iterates through an array of NPCs, planets and other objects and will manually swap the active hotspot using:

AC.KickStarter.playerInteraction.SetActiveHotspot(currentTargetObject.GetComponent< Hotspot>());

(currentTargetObject is the gameObject of the object selected by the targeting system).

It works just fine, and I can then toggle on the interaction menu using a button press to interact with the targeted object.

However, I've found that using AC.Kickstarter.playerInteraction.DeselectHotspot(); doesn't deselect the hotspot or disable the Hotspot UI.

Instead, I have to use SetActiveHotspot(null); to clear the current hotspot, which then disables the Hotspot menu.

It's not a huge deal, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Cheers

Comments

• edited March 2021

The DeselectHotspot function is called regularly by PlayerInteraction as part of its automatic behaviour. If the Hotspot is manually-set through custom script, though, it avoids clearing the value - as it should continue to rely on the custom script to determine when a Hotspot is set/unset.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you don't strictly have to rely on the PlayerInteraction's internal Hotspot value - through script, you should be able to bypass it and enable an Interaction menu for any given Hotspot, e.g.:

PlayerMenus.GetMenuWithName ("Interaction").SetHotspot (myHotspot, null);
    PlayerMenus.GetMenuWithName ("Interaction").TurnOn ();

If things are already working as they are, though, probably best to leave as-is.