Forum rules - please read before posting.

Frame Flipping with "Character Creator 2D" Character

edited March 2021 in Technical Q&A

I'm still pretty new to this so I'm probably missing something obvious. I've been following the tutorial for making a 2D game and wanted to try bringing in a custom character. I go the Character Creator Toolkit, created a character and brought him into my 2D game. I navigated to the "Base Animations" folder in Character Creator 2D and noticed that they don't have separate left and right animations. So under "Facing Directions" I chose Custom and then selected the box next to "Right?" and then under "Frame Flipping" I selected "Left Mirrors Right". I also renamed the Walking and Idle animations to end with _R so that it recognized them. Well, my character walks and idles but doesn't flip to face left. He keeps facing right and does a moon walk when I send him to the left side of the window.

Not sure what's going on.

Edit: I figured it out. I was only selecting Right and needed to also select left under custom. I assumed it was asking what I had animations for and didn't select left. Now I know. Rookie mistake.

Comments

• edited March 2021

For future reference: a list of animations expected for the character, based on their settings, can be found at the bottom of their Inspector. AC will also report warnings in the Console if an expected animation cannot be found at runtime.