Forum rules - please read before posting.

Stealth mechanics in 2D point and click?

I'm in the early stages of designing my first game and thinking about potential game mechanics that would work with my narrative. I would love to incorporate some stealth mechanics, i.e. sneaking past guards

Has anyone messed around with Stealth Mechanics in a 2D point and click? I'd be curious to see how others approached it.

Comments

• On it's own, AC isn't strictly intended for stealth games, but rudimentary mechanics can be implemented by using Triggers with Variables. A guard's "line of sight" can be set with a Trigger, with the Player entering it counting as being seen. A "Is sneaking" boolean variable, perhaps set by the Player using some item or solving a puzzle, can be incorporated into the Trigger's ActionList to determine if the guard reacts.

One such way to make this kind of mechanic is covered here by the 2.5D game tutorial. Much of the principles still apply for 2D, though with 2D you'll probably want to incorporate the position/orientation of the NPC's Trigger into the NPC animation itself, so that the Trigger moves when the NPC turns.