Forum rules - please read before posting.

Subtitles not appearing in scene

edited April 2021 in Technical Q&A

I was hoping someone could help with a frustrating issue I've encountered with subtitles in a single scene.

• My project has several scenes, all using actionlist triggers to play a Timeline cutscene and will wait until it has finished
  • All subtitles are in the Timeline, set as 'Clip Duration' mode and every subtitle track has a unique speaker prefab
  • The Subtitles UI is the default AC subtitles menu.

The setup has worked perfectly for weeks. However, I've recently added a new scene (an introduction cutscene) that only shows subtitles if I enter playmode from within that scene.

Some info:

• My new scene uses Timeline with the exact same structure as all other scenes. If I enter play mode from within that scene in the editor- the subtitles play correctly.
  • If I enter play mode from any other scene and transition to the new scene the subtitles do not show at all.
  • Other UI elements show fine- including a Conversation choice that displays after the cutscene has finished.

Some things I've tried:

• Using Chris' MenuEventTest class to make sure that the subtitles are triggering correctly. It appears as though they are working fine:

*Changing the subtitles UI from the AC menu to a Unity UI prefab. Again, if I enter playmode from within the scene the UI prefab instantiates correctly. If I enter playmode from another scene and enter the new scene, the UI prefab doesn't instantiate at all.

I'm running out of ideas- so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Problem solved- turns out the issue was caused by the Playable Director being set to PlayOnAwake in the inspector. I guess it must have been causing a conflict as it was also being run by an in-scene actionlist.

If anyone else runs into this problem, check to make sure PlayOnAwake is disabled on your Playable Director!

• Thanks for the tip, @Orbytel! Perhaps this should be flagged up in the Console if the Timeline Action detects it's playing a "PlayOnAwake" timeline.