Forum rules - please read before posting.

FollowMouse / GetMousePosition - occasional random Error

Hi all.

I have an object which follows the mouse around the screen. I use this feature many scenes, many different uses. It's a simple code script added onto objects.

It works much of the time.... It works 100% if I dont change scenes in Unity. But if a scene change has occurred, (including reloading a scene if already loaded etc) the object following mouse is sometimes offset a little, other times lots, and so is displayed off screen.

Here is the code. This happens in builds and in editor just the same.

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class FollowMouse : MonoBehaviour
{

public float mydistance; // Set distance  the object is placed in front of the camera.

void Update () {

Vector3 temp = (AC.KickStarter.playerInput.GetMousePosition());
    temp.z = mydistance; // distance the object is placed in front of the camera.
    this.transform.position = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(temp);
 }
}

Is it reading the AC.KickStarter.playerInput.GetMousePosition wrong occasionally or do I need some way to check the AC Mouse position is correctly read after a scene change?

Comments

• Found a work around but not a fix.

My object following mouse contains nested objects, those have 'movable' and 'remember movable' AC scripts attached for puzzle usage. If I remove the “remember movable” the code to follow mouse works after scene changes.

I have no idea why this is happening, but can work around it.

• Yes - it sounds like a child offset issue, rather than a mousep position one. GetMousePosition should be consistent across all scenes.

The Remember Moveable will update the object's position when loading a scene. If you needed to reset it's position but still make use of this component, you could try hooking into the OnAfterChangeScene to give it a correct local position, but that would depend on how your hierarchy is arranged.