Forum rules - please read before posting.

using skip in speech and cutscenes

So far I have just - almost - completed the first scene, which is also a tutorial for the player - and me, but I haven't used skipping anywhere. What would be a good strategy to use skipping? Moving to markers, speeches, animated action as skippable cutscenes and then set them as a line in AL?

Comments

• What form do your cutscenes take - ActionLists or Timelines - and how do you want to skip them?

Individual speech lines can only be skipped when run in an ActionList - when using Timeline, you can only skip the Cutscene that its run from.

To skip a "Skippable" cutscene, invoke an input named "EndCutscene". This will cause all Actions to be run instantly. In most cases, this is enough, but you should still check the behaviour in case you need to add additional Actions to the end to ensure that e.g. characters are in their correct positions etc.

• I'm not sure of the cutscene forms. I'm thinking of having "move to marker" to be a skippable cutscene - since player only walks, single speech lines maybe also - not sure about a whole dialogue at once, I'm not planning to have cutscenes player should walk more than once unless there's a significant change in the environment, so having them to be skippable would be silly - at least I think. I think having tab to be a skip button.

• If an ActionList blocks gameplay, you can check its "Is skippable?" property to have it respond to the EndCutscene input. See the Manual's "Skipping cutscenes" chapter for details.

• edited January 16

It would be really helpful if the 3D demo let the player skip the start cutscene -- both as a example of how to use the "skip cutscene" feature, and because it's annoying to have to watch it for the 100th time.

• Welcome to the community, @jeancallisti.

There are two ways to skip the demo game's cutscenes.

If you define an input named "EndCutscene" in your Input Manager, pressing it during cutscenes will skip them. Details on all inputs available to use can be found in the Manual's "Input descriptions" chapter.

Alternatively, if you go to the Variables Manager's "Local" tab while in Edit mode, you can set the "Skip intro on start?" variable to True. This will cause the opening cutscenes to be bypassed completely when starting the scene.

• Thanks for explaining how to do it, but that's not my point. I appreciate the thorough answer though.