Forum rules - please read before posting.

cursor is large and blurry

edited July 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hi, I'm having issues in our game with the cursor being ugly and large - it's so large it's difficult to tell what a user is clicking on. The image used is imported as cursor and the image is 16 x 16 pixels. How can I make the cursor smaller? I though the cursor was supposed to match the size of the cursor image.

sample
sample

sample

sample

Comments

• How large your cursor appears in-game depends on the settings in the AC's Cursor Manager. AC has a few cursor types, but this particular one is the "Main cursor" listed near the top.

If the Cursor rendering field is set to Software, you'll have access to a Size property beside each cursor type, that you can use to scale the image up/down.

If instead set to Hardware, then the cursor graphic is used to update the system cursor instead. You won't be able to resize the cursor this way, but instead it will match the original image.

• That worked for the blurriness! It's now also showing the system cursor though - is there an option i missed?

• When testing in the Editor, the system cursor will be present if Always show system cursor in Editor? is checked at the top of the Cursor Manager.

• Thanks, but that didn't work. The system cursor is still showing. I tried saving the setting and restarting the project as well. Is there another setting somewhere I could be missing?

• Weirdly I started working on something else and now it seems like it's working? It seems to flicker in the corner during cutscenes but it's mostly gone.

• How it behaves in builds will be the main thing - is it correctly hidden when you run the game outside of Unity?

• In the build the system cursor also flickers.

• You say it flickers in the corner - is it always in the exact same place, or only when you move the cursor to a screen edge? On what platform/OS are you building to, and is your build full-screen or windowed?

This may be a system/Unity issue, but it may be possible to get around it by relying on Hardware rendering in the Cursor Manager, as this will use your system cursor instead. You will need to make sure that your cursor graphic textures are set to "Cursor" in their import settings, however.