Forum rules - please read before posting.

Add Input Action to cycle interactions backwards

Hi!

I want to create the following behaviour:

• When a user presses A button on the joystick, the interactions cycle (look, use, talk) -> I already have this implemented.
  • When a user presses B button on the joystick, the interactions cycle backwards (talk, use, look) -> I have problems getting this to work.

The idea is allowing the user to browse the available interactions using two buttons.

I have already created a new Active Input using the Action Inputs Editor and created a new one named "InteractionC (Button)" and I have already created a new action list to be triggered but I don't know what actions to execute there to cycle the interactions backwards.

Could you give me some clues?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• An Active Input shouldn't be necessary, depending on your settings. Check the "Available inputs" panel in the Settings Manager - are CycleInteractionsLeft / CycleInteractionsRight listed? If so, mapping inputs to these names should allow for this.

If not, share your Interface settings so that I can see how your game is controlled.

• Hi Chris!

Thank you for your quick answer!

Here's a picture of my available inputs:

And my Interface Settings:

Thank you again!

• What is your AC version? "CycleCursorsBack" should be listed as an available input.

• My AC version is 1.70.2.
    Is there a way I could manually add it?

• I've been doing a quick research and I've found that, on the SettingsManager class I had:

else if (interactionMethod == AC_InteractionMethod.ChooseInteractionThenHotspot)
    {
        result = SmartAddInput (result, "CycleCursors (Button)");

I've added result = SmartAddInput (result, "CycleCursorsBack (Button)"); there like this:

else if (interactionMethod == AC_InteractionMethod.ChooseInteractionThenHotspot)
    {
        result = SmartAddInput (result, "CycleCursors (Button)");
        result = SmartAddInput (result, "CycleCursorsBack (Button)");

And now I see CycleCursorsBack listed on the Available inputs:

I guess that this should do the trick, isn't it?

Thank you!

• Answering myself, yes and no.

That step is needed but I'm missing something else, I'm researching more and I will post here my findings.

• So finally I have it working.

In PlayerCursor.cs I had:

else if (KickStarter.stateHandler.IsInGameplay () && KickStarter.settingsManager.interactionMethod == AC_InteractionMethod.ChooseInteractionThenHotspot && KickStarter.cursorManager != null &&
                        ((KickStarter.cursorManager.cycleCursors && KickStarter.playerInput.GetMouseState () == MouseState.RightClick) || KickStarter.playerInput.InputGetButtonDown ("CycleCursors")))
    {
        CycleCursors ();
    }

And I have added an else if for the new CycleCursorsBack action:

else if (KickStarter.stateHandler.IsInGameplay () && KickStarter.settingsManager.interactionMethod == AC_InteractionMethod.ChooseInteractionThenHotspot && KickStarter.cursorManager != null &&
                        ((KickStarter.cursorManager.cycleCursors && KickStarter.playerInput.GetMouseState () == MouseState.RightClick) || KickStarter.playerInput.InputGetButtonDown ("CycleCursorsBack")))
    {
        CycleCursorsBack ();
    }

I have also created a new CycleCursorsBack () function taking the existing CycleCursors () as model:

protected void CycleCursorsBack ()
    {
        if (KickStarter.playerInteraction.GetActiveHotspot () != null && KickStarter.playerInteraction.GetActiveHotspot ().IsSingleInteraction ())
        {
            return;
        }

int newSelectedCursor = selectedCursor;

if (KickStarter.cursorManager.cursorIcons.Count > 0)
        {
            newSelectedCursor --;

if (newSelectedCursor >= 0 && newSelectedCursor < KickStarter.cursorManager.cursorIcons.Count && KickStarter.cursorManager.cursorIcons [newSelectedCursor].dontCycle)
            {
                while (KickStarter.cursorManager.cursorIcons [newSelectedCursor].dontCycle)
                {
                    newSelectedCursor --;

if (newSelectedCursor < -1)
                    {
                        newSelectedCursor = -1;
                        break;
                    }
                }
            }
            else if (newSelectedCursor < -1)
            {
                newSelectedCursor = KickStarter.cursorManager.cursorIcons.Count - 1;
            }
        }
        else
        {
            // Pointer
            newSelectedCursor = -1;
        }

SelectedCursor = newSelectedCursor;
    }

And now everything is working as I wanted :smiley:

I have to say that I had to go over all this process because I can't update to a newer AC version, so it's my fault.

Also I have to say that I've been able to implement all this by myself because the Adventure Creator code is very straightforward and easy to understand!

Thanks a lot for your help and for making such a wonderful asset, Chris!