Forum rules - please read before posting.

‘Order in layer’ relative to parent object

Hi all,

This is my first post. I have been creating scenes and ran into a challenge. My scenes are made up of many objects, some are prefabs with a large number of nested child objects. I’m realizing that altering the order in layer for every object as I work on the scene and layer all these objects is becoming difficult and tedious.

I’m wondering if there is a way I can make it so child objects can have an Order in Layer that is relative to the parent game object. For example if I have a prefab with a number of sprites ranging from 1-10 Order in Layer, and I set the parent game object Order in Layer to 30, then the child objects would range from 31-40. Has a solution like this been implemented or can anyone take a guess how this could be done?

I was thinking attaching a script that does this might work but would I be able to see the changes in the editor?

Thanks for any input.

Collin

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Cawdeen.

I’m wondering if there is a way I can make it so child objects can have an Order in Layer that is relative to the parent game object.

It sounds like the Sorting Group component is what you're looking for.

• This is exactly what I was looking for. Simple solution, thank you!