Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can't hide cursor in a background cutscene

edited October 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hi. I created cutscene, where player falling down to the planet in an escape pod. Player can only turn a head a little while cutscene working (by Cursor Influence in a GameCamera), but to make it possible i had to do mark this cutscene as background. It works fine but I see a mouse cursor (in a build also). Problem happens ONLY in background cutscenes.

I tried to disable cursor everywhere in AC settings but it's still appears. Interestingly, there was no such problem yesterday. But today I wasted a few hours and still can't fix it...

I tried to disable cursor in cutscene by node Engine->ManageSystems - Cursor Disabled, game still ignoring that.

Have no idea what to do else. Hope you can help. Thanks!

Comments

• If you're using Hardware cursor rendering, it involves your system's cursor. Disabling AC cursor system in the Action won't hide it - it'll just stop AC from controlling it.

Is your "Display cursor: Never" setting your regular cursor setting, or an attempt to hide the cursor?

When using the system cursor, the best way to hide it is to assign an empty/invisible texture through script. To control the main cursor, if it's set to display:

AC.KickStarter.cursorManager.pointerIcon.ReplaceTexture (myNewTexture);

Though, you bring up a good case to add an option to allow cameras to have a cursor influence during cutscenes. I can look into this as part of the next update.

• edited October 2021

Hi, Chris!

Mostly I not need a cursor, it's FPS game. But I need it in inventory / main menu / pause. But now it's appears in background cutscenes.

"Disabling AC cursor system in the Action won't hide it" - hmm... So ho can I control showing/hiding of cursor in cutscenes? I'm not a programmer, so I need to do that without coding :smile:

• Your situation isn't a cutscene, despite the name of the component. If it's running in the background, it's treated as regular gameplay.

I think the easiest way forward is to simply allow for cursor influence over the camera during cutscenes - that way you can keep the cutscene as a regular "Blocks Gameplay" ActionList.

To do this, open up AC's CursorInfluenceCamera.cs script, and change line 41:

if (KickStarter.stateHandler.IsInGameplay () && KickStarter.playerInput)

to:

if (KickStarter.playerInput)

In the next AC update, I can add a per-camera option to control this setting.

• I'll try, thank you!

• edited October 2021

Hmmm... That helped but for me it really would be the simplest solution to have just an Action to hide / show the cursor. Thanks anyway!

• Paste this script into a C# file named CursorVisibility.cs:

using UnityEngine;

public class CursorVisibility : MonoBehaviour
    {

public void HideCursor ()
        {
            Cursor.visible = false;
        }

}

Attach to a GameObject and make it a prefab.

You should then be able to use the Object: Call event Action to run this prefab's HideCursor function to make the cursor invisible, provided you've disabled AC's Cursor system using the Engine: Manage systems Action.

• I'll try, thanks!