Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to prevent dialogue box flickering between multiple dialogue boxes when using fade?

edited October 2021 in Technical Q&A

When you use the fade option with a canvas group on a Unity UI dialogue menu, it creates a really nice fade in and fade out when there is only 1 line of dialogue, but when you have the player speaking multiple lines/dialogue events, there is a slight flicker as it transitions from the one dialogue action to the next.

What is the optimal way to take advantage of the fade-in/fade-out, but avoid the flickering between the multiple dialogue events? (where each line is a different action in the action script)

Or is the idea that you use fade if you are using single lines per interaction and don’t use fade at all if you have multiple lines spoken in a row?

Or I suppose I can just manually put an equivalent engine wait time to match the fade length time for each piece of dialogue.

Comments

• Does your Subtitles menu have Duplicate for each line? checked?

If so, then each speech Action will generate its own copy of the menu - each with its own transition. If two lines are played without a gap, these transitions will overlap as the first fades out while the second fades in.

If this is unchecked, there should be no fading if there's no gap.

If you did want to have a delay between each line, you can set the Speech Manager's Initial post-line delay (s) to match your menu's fade duration, rather than using Engine: Wait Actions.

• edited October 2021

Thanks Chris, I realize now that when I look at my old builds, only the text would change, which I prefer.

I started messing around with menu fades because I was noticing a flicker between different dialogues.

Here is a link to my speech and menu managers.
    https://ln5.sync.com/dl/133242770/x8hyqmbv-28343sqs-axc5gety-vgaptb4m

When I create a build, it seems to randomly switch between either only the text changing which is great, but most of the time, there is a flicker when changing lines. I'm not sure why it is changing randomly

Basically, I can click on the same hotspot over again and the same dialogue sequence will sometimes play with a flicker between lines and sometimes only the text changes.

There is a copy of the scene build in the folder if you want to see it in action.

• What are your AC/Unity versions, and does this only occur in a build?

Try a very small fade value of e.g. 0.05 - does that improve things?

• edited October 2021

AC - 1.74.2

Unity - Tried on 2020.3.12f1 and 2020.3.21f1

This occurs in the editor window and the build.

Adding the small fade of 0.05 is fine, but I'm trying to get it back to the point where when the player speaks multiple lines, the picture and dialogue box stay on the screen, while the multiple lines of text appear on screen.

Just realized that if 'display subtitles forever unless user skips it' is unchecked, then the issue goes away, and the picture and dialogue box stay on the screen while the text changes, but if you click to skip with this setting, the flicker issue still happens.

So when 'display subtitles forever unless user skips it' is checked, the text flashes each time between each character line, but works fine again when the option is unchecked, while autoplaying dialogue (except for skip flash)

• I've recreated the issue - thanks for the details. I shall look into a fix as part of the next release.

• Thanks Chris!