Forum rules - please read before posting.

Swap prototype models with production models

Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've been using the prototype pack to build some levels and at this point I want to swap my NPCs for the actual character models I want to use in my game. How do I do this without breaking the connection with all the speech text and logic etc?

Should I be creating new NPCs using the wizard and then moving all the logic over manually?

Thanks

Comments

• An animated character's model is set by their Animator (with the correct Avatar assigned) and Skinned Mesh Renderer components, together with their armature object chain in the Hierarchy - see the Demo game's "Tin Pot" player prefab as an example.

You shouldn't need to rely on the Character Wizard, but it will be a case of replacing these components with that of your updated models.

Place the new model in the scene besides your NPC, and start with copy/pasting the Animator component. Then drag/drop the armature and SMR object, removing the NPC's old set. So long as the NPC's root object and NPC component is kept the same, links to logic/speech etc should be retained.

Back up first before attempting anything!

• Thanks Chris. I wasn't able to get it working with what you suggested but I did end up just adding the new model under the root and disabled the old animator, SMR etc. Doing that seems to work for me.