Forum rules - please read before posting.

Saving issue - menus dissappear after saving.

Hello Chris,

So I wanted to save my game and pressed the Auto-add save componet to GameObjects as the tutorial explains.

The first issue was that inmediately after saving the game, it paused. I´ve read that´s because there are menus with the Pause Gameplay option checked, (in my case should be the Save menu and the Pause menu). So I created an Action List to turn them off but it didn´t work ( the game was still paused and both the inventory and the InGame menu dissappear). Then I unchecked the Pause gameplay option and the game resumed but the InGame menu and the inventory one dissappeared, even when I created an ActionList to make them appear (both menus are in Manual). Because of this I can´t access the Pause menu and check if the game is saved.

Then I tried the Autosave option after a cutscene and again, out of nowhere, both menus dissappear. I think this is the main problem but I can´t figure out how to solve it. I even tried to check if saving was posible or not after the cutscene by ordering the Actionlist to play different sounds, but it doesn´t play anything at all.

I´m completely stumped here. Any help would be appreciated.

My Unity version is 2019.4.12f1 and the Adventure Creator one is 1.73.1

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Lemarchand.

In a backup/duplicate project, update to the latest AC release. v1.74 fixed an issue related to the game remaining paused after loading if scene-based UIs are present. Even if you don't use them here, it'll still be necessary to know if this is an issue with the curent release.

If the issue persists, we'll need to learn more details as it sounds like you've made changes to your UI/saving method that makes your situation unique.

To learn the state of the game at any time, enable the "AC Status Box" at the bottom of the Settings Manager. This will display the game's current state in the top-left corner of the Game Window - as well as any ActionLists that are running. If it's not the issue that was fixed in v1.74, that should help to give a clue as to where the problem lies.

• Hello Chris, how are you doing.

I couldn´t fix anything about the save system and I had to launch my game with another solution.

Some other issues I found:

-When I tried to update to the next version (mine is 1.73.1) it froze and crashed the whole project. I had a backup to solve it however I think this messed something up.

• Around 90% of the times when an animation finishes it repeats the first frame, and that it´s kind of weird. This doesn´t happen with characters but with objects. Do you know anything about this?

I´m starting a new project with an updated version so I´ll see and let you know if this issues repeat themselves.

• I forgot two things:

• I don´t know why but there´s a hotspot that when clicked makes the cursor dissapear. Very annoying. I´ve changed it multiple times and it always happens. The same thing happened in the same stage where a hotspot dissapeared so at the end I got rid of it.
    • The unhandled inventory combinations didn´t work at all. I had to select an item and assign the interactions with the other objects one by one.
  • I'm sorry to hear your troubles, but I will need more details to resolve them.

When I tried to update to the next version (mine is 1.73.1) it froze and crashed the whole project.

At the point of updating, or when you begin Play Mode? If the Editor crashed, you might be able to get some relevant information in the Editor Log file described here.

Around 90% of the times when an animation finishes it repeats the first frame, and that it´s kind of weird. This doesn´t happen with characters but with objects. Do you know anything about this?

Does this occur in the latest release? I would need to see the Animator involved, and Action being used to control it, but this may be a Unity issue.

I don´t know why but there´s a hotspot that when clicked makes the cursor dissapear.

What Actions are run as part of the Hotspot's Interaction, and does gameplay resume as normal afterwards, so that you can continue to interact with Hotspots despite the cursor being invisible?

What method of Cursor Rendering are you using?

The unhandled inventory combinations didn´t work at all.

If you can share screenshots of your Settings and Inventory Manager that I can copy from, I'll attempt a recreation of this on my end.

• Thanks for the quick response. I´m afraid I can´t upload any images but I will as soon as I come back.

What Actions are run as part of the Hotspot's Interaction, and does gameplay resume as normal afterwards, so that you can continue to interact with Hotspots despite the cursor being invisible? What method of Cursor Rendering are you using?

• The cursor rendering I´m using is Software. The same happens if I select Hardware. The Use interaction uses a variable and works fine. It plays a sentence or opens a dialogue. The cursor dissapears after the interactions, however I can still play the game and when I manage to find an interaction and click it the cursor appears back. The same thing happened with the Examine interaction, so I ended up discarding it.

At the point of updating, or when you begin Play Mode? If the Editor crashed, you might be able to get some relevant information in the Editor Log file described here.

• Just when I began Play Mode. It played the animations, ambient sound but couldn´t move the character, there was no cursor at all and the camera view was the main one.

Does this occur in the latest release? I would need to see the Animator involved, and Action being used to control it, but this may be a Unity issue.

I´m going to start a new project soon so I´ll answer this as soon as I check it.

Thanks.

• The cursor dissapears after the interactions, however I can still play the game and when I manage to find an interaction and click it the cursor appears back.

Are you finding this occurs in the latest release as well? I'll need to see your Settings and Cursor Managers, as well as the Hotspot Interaction, to try to recreate this.

Just when I began Play Mode. It played the animations, ambient sound but couldn´t move the character, there was no cursor at all and the camera view was the main one.

Are all of your Managers re-assigned after the update? What's your Settings Manager's "Movement method" set to, and is it the same after updating?

• I´m afraid the latest release hasn´t changed anything. The cursor still dissapears. The hotspot is like any other I´ve used on the scene, it doesn´t make any sense.

-Now I can autosave, however when I load it, it plays other animations that weren´t playing at the time of the saving.

I´ll try to upload pictures but now I´m completely frustrated.

• edited April 2022

If you're uncovering issues, then I thank you for bringing them to my attention. Please know that - frustrating as things may be right now - we will get to the bottom of them.

I'm here to help. If need be, you can PM me a link to your updated project as a zip file - so long as it comes with clear instructions on how to recreate each issue, I can look into them on my end.

• Hey Chris I´ve found the thing about the cursor, this will be helpful.

-So the stage has hotspots with interactions and markers assigned to them and an NPC. Aside of this, I placed four triggers to change the character´s text marker position (to follow him and avoid text cut offs). So after some interactions the cursor dissapeared and I´ve realised that was everytime the player character passed through a trigger, the cursor dissapears until he leaves it.

• The problem was that with some of the interactions the character moved to the marker assigned, and that marker coincided with the trigger, so the caracter remained inside the trigger and that is why it dissapeared.

• My solution was to narrow the triggers to avoid any contact with the character while staying on a marker.

I copy you here the trigger properties should:

Actions source: In scene
    When running: Run in background
    Trigger type: continuous
    Reacts: only during gameplay.

Detection method: transform position.

(In fact I have changed the trigger type to On enter and seems to work better).

Thanks for your patience, hope that was useful. I´ll tell you more if I can uncover more things.

• I'm not following why the character's position is affecting the cursor's, but when it comes to Triggers you should avoid "Continuous" Triggers where possible.

If you want to "undo" the effects of a Trigger when leaving it, you can attach a second AC_Trigger component to the same Trigger object and set its type to "On Exit", and then assign Actions that undo the effects of the "On Enter" Trigger.

On the original purpose of the Triggers, though: you mention "text marker position". Are you referring to their "Speech menu placement child" Transform?

Unless there's a specific need to, it's not typical to have to control this just to keep the Subtitles menu on-screen. If the Subtitles aren't displayed correctly, it may be a case of adjusting the Menu's properties to fix this. This is a visual problem though, so I'll need to see images of the issue as it appears in-game, and the Menu's properties.