Forum rules - please read before posting.

Set parameters from Dropdown List?

edited January 2022 in Technical Q&A

Hey!
So I guess a big thing with a tool like AC is that guys like me find odd ways of doing stuff... Im not sure if this is an odd way but I fully understand If im a bit of an idiot here.

So... I have been working on a comic book style dialogue system using menus and action list parameters.
How it works is that I have a bunch of menu elements that I can show or hide to build a comic panel and put dialogue in it.
when to dialogue ends it hides the elements and is ready for a new line of dialogue.

My action list for dialogue looks like this. (with explanations)

So! Onto my question!
Is it possible to set this up so the_ free text fields_...

• Background?
  • portrait to display Elemt
  • Speech buuble element

...are replaced by a dropdown list that I can define the contents of in some way.
(Manually populated is fine. Im looking for a way to avoid typing in the exact names every time)

See mockup below...

My setup now works great but I have to keep a reference sheet available to manually fill in all the element names.
does my question make sense or am I thinking completely backwards?

Comments

• It does, and the idea of "PopUp parameters" is a feature that's been requested a couple of times. I appreciate you taking the time to describe a "real world" example on how they might be used.

It's been on my radar for a while now, but the implementation has depended on getting a few other technical things in place before it could be done. I've been rolling these out in various updates, however, so it should now be closer to being possible. I shall revisit this based on your example, thanks.