Forum rules - please read before posting.

Constant ids constantly changing

Greetings Chris. You'll be happy to know that the game is going well. We'll be announcing it publicly on March 21st. No more need to be secret after that date (but ... shhh! until that date).

Anyway .. my technical problem du jour:

We are heavy users of actionlists. Many of the actionlists are run from multiple scenes and refer to gameobjects that are loaded into "do not destroy" .. We do a lot of teleporting things offscreen and then teleporting them back into the scene when we need them.

On some occasions we have the constantids change on us, invalidating the actionlists. When that happens we are [expletive deleted]'d.

We're not sure what causes it. We can work for a week and all is fine, but then we'll check in, or share code with each other, and then we're crashed again.

Have you seen this occur? All game objects in the scene suddenly get a new constantid?

We have been specifying "manual" and "save id in prefab" on all the game objects, and that seems to help, but today we just got crashed again.

Any advice?

-Ken Williams

Comments

• Apologies for the trouble - I've no doubt this must be source of frustration.

It's not something I've seen occur, so I'll need to learn more about the details before I can get to the bottom of it, though.

What are your AC and Unity versions?

To be clear: you're seeing the IDs of the original prefabs change - not those of the runtime instances in the scene?

You mention checking in and sharing code - does this occur at the point of merging projects, as in - it doesn't occur when working in isolation? If things crashed again today, did that time in with another merge?

We have been specifying "manual" and "save id in prefab" on all the game objects, and that seems to help, but today we just got crashed again.

Of an ID that was set to Manual - what did it change to? Was it still set to Manual with a new ID, or was it set back to Automatic?

If set to Manual, an ID should only get changed either through code, or through overwriting the prefab from another commit / package. If it's the latter, they should show up as changes in your version control - is this the case?

• OK -- I just thought you had seen it before. My team met for hours on this topic today. We've all seen it happen, but no one could pin down exactly what caused it. Everyone is on the lookout for it to happen again, and when it does we'll capture exactly the steps to reproduce it.

More, when I know more.

Thanks! - Ken W

• Thanks, I appreciate it.

Though it's not exactly a workaround: it is possible to have the Console list all objects that reference a given Constant ID component, via the top-right button of that component's Inspector.

If you do find that you can predict when it'll occur, it should at least be possible to get a list of such references so that may need to be checked again afterwards.