Forum rules - please read before posting.

Creating different categories for a conversation?

Hello, I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm very new to this and I have been having a really tough time searching.

I wanted to do a system similar to Detective Grimoire's tangle tower (pictures below). Basically, in the game, the suspect is off in the background of the scene and the dialogue menu appears next to them once you tap on them to make an effect sort of like you're having them come forward for questioning.

I was planning on just putting a graphic of the character next to the dialogue options on the conversation menu and making different menus for every character.

But it also gives you the option of asking them about clues and the other suspects you've encountered earlier. I figured I could do this by making the dialogue options into symbols in a grid instead of text, the only problem I'm running into is how I can switch between asking questions, presenting profiles, and asking about clues.

Comments

• edited March 2022

I'd suggest creating three separate Conversations - one for each category.

As each of the three category tabs display the available options differently, you'll also need to create three separate Conversation menus in the Menu Manager - one for each - and then lock/unlock them so that the correct one shows at the correct time.

When a Menu is locked, it won't turn on even when its Appear type condition is met. You can lock and unlock Menus with the Menu: Change state Action.

Something that should come in handy is that you can associate dialogue options with Inventory items, so that a given option is only displayed if a given inventory item is held by the Player.

Inventory items can be categorised - so to create a dynamic "clues" Conversation you could:

1. Create a new "Clues" category in the Inventory Manager's "Clues" tab (as well as a default "Normal" category).
    2. Create each "Clue" as an Inventory item, and placed in the "Clues" category
    3. Limit your Inventory menu's display to only show items placed in the "Normal" category so that Clues don't appear there as well
    4. Create a "Clues Conversation" that has options for each Clue you want to make available for the character being questioned.
    5. For each option, associate it with its respective "Clue" inventory item
    6. To have Clues then appear in the Conversation, use the Inventory: Add or remove Action to add Clues to the Player's inventory