Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot, Interaction, and Action-types are not functioning accordingly to resolve navigating through

edited April 2022 in Technical Q&A

Hotspot, Interaction, and Action-types are not functioning accordingly to resolve navigating through scenes.
Objective: To connect and be able to navigate through scenes 19(Kitchen) and 18(Hallway) in Settings Build.
Scene Number: 19(Kitchen) in Settings Build information:
Hotspots name: Hallway (Inspector tab provided.)
Hotspots Interaction name: Interaction with hallway (Inspector tab provided.)
Cutscene name: Intro animation.
Hotspot "Hallway" purpose: Connects Scene 19(Kitchen) to Scene 18(Hallway.)
Hotspot "Hallway" is localized at the On start Cutscene "Intro animation" of the game. (ActionList provided).
Hotspot "Hallway" is Disabled at OnStart Cutscene "Intro animation" in Scene 19 and is Enabled at the end of "Interaction with Ryan." after speaking with a character named Ryan. (ActionList provided).
Tested but was unsuccessful with actions:
Action Type: Scene: Switch in areas as follows:
Cutscene "Intro animation" at the top of the ActionList.
Interactions:
"Interaction with hallway."
"Interaction with ryan" placed at the end of the ActionList.
Action Type: Scene: Check placed in "Interaction with hallway."
Action Type: Object: Send message placed at the end of "Interaction with ryan."
Scene Number: 18(Hallway) in Settings Build information:
Hotspots name: Door kitchen (Inspector tab provided.)
Hotspot interaction name: Interaction with door kitchen (Inspector tab provided.)
Cutscene name: Hallway cutscene
Hotspot "Door kitchen" purpose: Connects Scene 18(Hallway) to Scene 19(Kitchen)
Interactions:
"Interaction with door kitchen"
Tested but was unsuccessful with:
Placing Action Type: Scene: Check and Action Type: Scene: Switch in "Interaction with door kitchen."
Placing "Hallway cutscene" on both on start and on load in Scene cutscene.
Extra information: I am up to date with latest AC and Unity updates. Sprite Renderers are also provided.
If you need any other information such as "Hallway cutscene" ActionLists to help with a solution please let me know.

Link to Photos: https://imgur.com/a/itIaMAC

Comments

• Is this issue limited to just these scenes, meaning you have scene-switching working correctly elsewhere?

Is the issue that the Hotspot is not able to be selected (i.e. its turned off when it should be on) or is it that the Hotspot is on (and the interaction is run), but the scene fails to change?

Do other Hotspots work as intended during this time? If you view the Inspector of a problematic Hotspot when the issue occurs, it will display a message if the Hotspot is currently off.

You can also determine if an ActionList is run by inserting ActionList: Comment Actions, which get printed in the Console.

I can't see the why the issue would occur from the images, but it does seem that your Scene: Check Actions are not necessary. In "Interaction with hallway", for example, the current scene doesn't need to be checked because this Interaction is limited to the scene it's in. You should be able to remove this, leaving just the Scene: Switch Action.

When it's just this Action in the Interaction ActionList, try running it manually by clicking "Run now" in its Inspector. Does that cause the scene to change, or does anything get printed in the Console?

• Hello, thank you for messaging back,

I have implemented Scene-Switching in other scenes of the game. Scene-Switching was working as wanted and into the correct scenes before. I added a trigger to Scene 18(Hallway) and noticed the change soon after. I unchecked the trigger believing it may have been that, but the issue still occurred.

The Hotspot's name's in both Scenes 18 and 19 do appear when they should, but the hotspot does not take the character into one another's scenes, instead it does nothing. The hotspots that pertain to the Settings Build seem to be the ones with the issue. Other hotspots are working efficiently.

Other Hotspots in the Settings Build do respond to Scene-Switching. The problem is that it fails to take me into the correct scene. An example of this is scene in photo titled: Scene 18 Interaction with door kitchen "Run now." The interaction leads to another scene. Scene 20 to be exact, apart from the kitchen scene 19, which it should be. When in scene 20, everything in the Hierarchy is not seen. (Provided photo).

I have inserted the ActionList: Comment's and will send you those photos as well.

Note: During "Run now" the Hotspots name "Hallway" in Scene 19 is revealed after "Interaction with ryan" which is correct. I want the character to be able to walk into scene 18 only after the "Interaction with ryan." During normal gameplay, this is revealed to also be correct. Yet, the hotspots name "Hallway" isn't present on play during the "Run now" practice run with "Interaction with hallway."

Link to photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/YfJBMko

• It sounds like the scene number is being offset by 1: when you attempt to switch to 18, it remains in scene 19; when you attempt to switch to 19, it opens 20.

What are your exact AC/Unity version numbers? "Latest" Unity can take different meanings, given its various beta/patch/LTS releases.

Are all scenes listed in your Build Settings enabled without issue?

Instead of referencing scenes by number in the Scene: Switch Action, try referencing them by name instead.

• Hi there,

I went ahead and referenced the scenes by name as opposed to the number and navigating to the proper scenes is now possible. Thank you for help in this matter. :)