Forum rules - please read before posting.

Menus - Direct navigation - Unable to navigate options

edited April 2022 in Technical Q&A

Unity Ver: 2019.4.35f1
AC Ver: 1.75.2

Hello,

Before now, when using a control pad, I setup a cursor solution to interact with menus. Now I want to get direct navigation working (removing the cursor when using a control pad).

To get things rolling, I've been using the manual and aiming to get the pause menu to work, however I'm unable to navigate options when the menu appears.

Here's the setup:

I have a Unity UI prefab of a very simple pause menu

Each button has a red selected colour setup on it:

This UI prefab is plugged into the AC pause menu, with an entry for 'first selected element' filled out:

At the top of the menu manager, "Directly-navigate Menus when paused?" is set to true:

When I play and activate the pause menu, it correctly auto selects the ResumeButton, but I'm unable to navigate up or down the options. Selecting an option does work.

The manual says that menus are navigated with the Horizontal and Vertical input axes. In my case, I'm using Rewired, and I've set those inputs up on a joystick map (which activates just after the pause menu appears):

What would you suggest?

Comments

• Are the Button components themselves set up to be navigable?

AC relies on its own custom Event System, but Rewired has one too:

https://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/RewiredStandaloneInputModule.html

It may be that this is necessary for Rewired to navigate menus. If you create an Event System prefab that uses the above, you can assign it at the top of the Menu Manager to have AC spawn that instead of its own.

• Are the Button components themselves set up to be navigable?

Hey Chris. I'm not sure, having never done this before. Does this answer the question?

• Looks good to me. The yellow arrows in the scene view should also indicate navigation directions. It's likely down to the Event System.

• The yellow arrows in the scene view should also indicate navigation directions.

What are these yellow arrows of which you speak? I've never seen any. Should those appear just opening the UI prefab?

• Success! You were right. Using the Rewired event system did the trick.