Forum rules - please read before posting.

NPC Running in place

In a 3D project when I add NPCs they will not move to markers, but instead run in place. The Player character will move to markers, but usually while floating above the floor, only to return to the floor when they reach the marker. I am sure it is something simple I am missing. I've even created a simple project with just some scenery, a PC and an NPC to test with and have the same problem.

Comments

• Check the state of their Animator component's Apply Root Motion checkbox.

When this is checked, AC will rely on the walk/run animations being played to handle the movement of the character - since Root Motion refers to the Unity feature of having animation affect motion. More on this feature can be found here.

If this is checked, then the animations involved must be configured to make use of it. If they are not, it will cause the character to animate in place - in which case, you'll need to either uncheck the box, or configure the animations to use Root Motion.

• Thanks! I could have sworn I unchecked that box. Any idea why the character insists on walking well above the floor (waist height) when moving to markers and then drops back to the floor when done? All walking is normal when pointing and clicking.

• That too sounds like a root motion issue, where the Y Position of the character is being controlled by the character.

Once Apply Root Motion is unchecked, make sure your character also has a means to react to gravity, i.e. either a Rigidbody or Character Controller component, and that gravity is enabled in the Player Inspector.