Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character doesn't follow entire path when speed is increased.

AC v 1.75.3
Unity 2021.3.2f1

Hi Chris,

Let me first add to the littany of praise by saying THANK YOU for making AC, and continually providing updates and feedback. I've used this for over a year and found it great, especially with the extra features you've been steadily adding in!

I am making a 2D point and click for my brother :)

My issue is I have a scene where the character goes off into the distance and then up a mountain path comically fast. The path is entered via a hotspot, where the player is teleported to the start of a path, follows it up, then teleports off screen (out of view) and then across the mountain again on another path higher up.

This all works fine if I set to the speed to Run on the path, however it is very slow as the character is only 4% the size of normal. If I change the speed (via AL Editor: Character, Animate, New Speed Float, New Run Speed 200), then the speed is great however only ~half of the path is traversed each time. It seems to be some sort of scaling interaction?? I am running Unity Animations Complex with a 2D rig if that makes any difference.

Let me know what (if any) screen shots to send. I'm not sure exactly what you need to see.

Thanks!
Vickie

Comments

• edited June 2022

Welcome to the community, @ArkoFlake15, and thank you.

~half of the path is traversed each time.

Sorry, I'm not too clear on your meaning here. Is it a case of the character stopping halfway-through, or missing parts of it?

If you can, a video or gif that shows the issue would be great.

If it is a case of the character overshooting the path nodes, have a look through the Manual's "Precision movement" chapter. Though it's more intended for 3D games, the Destination accuracy and Retro-style movement? options will still apply - do either of those affect behaviour?

• (Oops just reread the forum posting rules and saw the don't start off with "Hi Chris", sorry!)

I couldn't figure out how to upload video on Imgur, so have used Vimeo instead. Hope that's ok:

Run speed set to 200 for the mountain climb

Run speed set to 50 for the mountain climb

Destination accuracy - I tried this set to zero and then to 1.0 (including experimental super accuracy). The latter got the character to follow the full length of the path which was a big improvement.

Retro-style - I tried this with super accuracy and then accuracy of 0.8. The latter was just as good as super accuracy, and both followed the path much better, I'm assuming without smoothing, which is what I'll go with:

Thanks for your help!
    Onwards and upwards :)

• Yes, retro-style avoids any interpolation/smoothing, so it will be the most accurate.

FWIW, another approach would be to rely on Unity's Timeline tool to move the character via an Animation Track. AC's "Character Animation 2D" track can then be used to control the character's walk/idle/direction animations automatically based on their movement - see the Manual's "Working with Timeline" chapter for details.

• Will do, cheers.